Could a zero person FRC team exist?

Let’s go further. If a bot was built by those big industrial arms and programmed by ChatGPT and competed with full autonomous code for the whole match, would it be viable if the zero-person team got subs from another team for human player, etc?

11 Likes

who builds the industrial arms? and the chatgpt? it’s just another layer of abstraction, but there is always a human at the end of it.

11 Likes

Would ChatGPT be able to register and pay the entrance fees? Someone would have had to give the thing a bank account and money to make digital payment, something would need to transport the robot. I dont think its viable.

3 Likes

duh big industrial arms powered by chatgpt. and chatgpt is powered by another chatgpt so that it is just a loop that continuously improves itself
and chatgpt builds the arms using other arms

8 Likes

The theory of subbing in students and mentors from other teams to do work is perfectly viable I’ve helped throw together robots in the pits from spare parts and a bunch of random students from other teams for a team of 3, no real reason it couldn’t be a team of 0

4 Likes

I mean, GPT in itself has proved to be pretty good at stuff. One instance could definitely self-govern and then mine crypto or something. With enough money you can convince any shipping company to get the bots to a competition.

3 Likes

This sounds like a bad science fiction story that begins with three mentors meeting each other for the first time in the otherwise empty pit for an FRC team, after communicating by email with the “student” programmer asking for help at comps.

Then the FedEx guy drops off a kitbot…

12 Likes

There is a point where we needed to stop and we have clearly passed it but let’s keep going and see what happens.

16 Likes

This seems like a good story. I’d love to see someone make a full novel, definitely a good read.

3 Likes

I feel like you’ll need to put at least one person’s name and email as the main contact in order to physically register the team.

4 Likes

Now it’s time to find some rich sponsor willing to make this chaos happen.

1 Like

Large language model, connected to a vector database with context window passing in web content from vendors, github, & chief delphi it could get pretty far in terms of running a team itself especially if you used the collection of experts model and had a model for each major subcomponent, code, management, electrical, etc and implemented self managed chain of thought prompting. It could realistically get pretty far handling everything itself.

1 Like

ChatGPT + Identity Theft

5 Likes

People with the money to pull that off don’t have the time or inclination for such tomfoolery…

3 Likes
if(!registrationCompleted) {
	 String email = createEmail();
	 Bitcoin money = mineCrypto();
	 String name = government.hackServers().getRandomName();

registerTeam(email, money, name);
}
5 Likes

That man has the money and inclination to cause such chaos.

2 Likes

Tomfoolery, as well.

3 Likes

Should I go make an API for automated team registration

4 Likes

That seems like it’d be dangerous and a waste of time. I love it.

1 Like

Well, you need a drive team member present to get credit for the mat-

Right.

I suppose it comes down to whether the drive team members not existing is considered an exceptional circumstance. My gut here is that this actually isn’t in the spirit of the substitution rules, but I’m not sure.

Feel free to continue the thought experiment as if I’m wrong though, it’s a fun proposition.

4 Likes