coupling

Would a Jacobs chuck be considered legal as a coupling for our drill motors?

sounds interesting, what is a jacobs chuck?

It’s a drill chuck.

The Jacobs pattern chuck is the Basic Drill chuck with a Key that turns an outside gear to cause the jaws to extend through an opening which is smaller than the jaws, causing them to get closer as they come forward, gripping the drill.

If you found it in Small Parts, go for it. It wasn’t in the kit, and it’s not in the additional Hardware List.

Beware the dreaded slippage to which grippers of round things are subject, both in rotation (round and round) and along the axis (in and out).

The trantorque coupling is a workable idea of a similar nature that was part of the kit in years past, and may still be available from SPI.

hehehe, sorry… my bad…

I didn’t realize that was the name for s standard drill chuck…

Thanks…

*Originally posted by rdmendola *
**Would a Jacobs chuck be considered legal as a coupling for our drill motors? **

Only if you bought it from small parts or made it from legal materials.

*Originally posted by Lloyd Burns *
**The Jacobs pattern chuck is the Basic Drill chuck with a Key that turns an outside gear to cause the jaws to extend through an opening which is smaller than the jaws, causing them to get closer as they come forward, gripping the drill.

If you found it in Small Parts, go for it. It wasn’t in the kit, and it’s not in the additional Hardware List.**

That seems to fit the definition of a fastener to me.

I thought shaft couplers were on the AHL this year in unlimited quantity. I don’t have the rules handy and we’re not using any so I haven’t had to stay current on that item so I may be mistaken on that.

To my mind if it’s joining two shafts (the motor output and what ever else you’re hooking up), and the coupled items have the same rotational velocity, what you have is a shaft coupler and it doesn’t matter what other names it may have.

But beware of the problems previously mentioned. (rotating in the chuck or sliding in and out) You might want to use a hexagonal shaft for the input to whatever else you’re connecting to the motor. The chuck will grip this better than a round shaft.

From the Additional Hardware List:

Shaft Couplings - Any Amount, Any size

Interesting question. I would have to say depending on your use. In other words, it would have to connect 2 shafts.