?Crate question?

How many crates can you ship to the comps during the season??

I know that most people have only one for the bot, but I think I saw some teams with two???

I need an answer ASAP!

Thanks

I’m pretty sure it’s as many as you want (within reason)

You just foot the bill for shipping AND drayage.

I believe you can technically ship as many as you’d like but FIRST will only guarantee that two will show up at the competition (as you ship it to a drayage company and not directly to the site, it has to be moved). Personally, I’d keep it to two unless it was extremely important to have more than that.

Matt

*Originally posted by Matt Leese *
**I believe you can technically ship as many as you’d like but FIRST will only guarantee that two will show up at the competition (as you ship it to a drayage company and not directly to the site, it has to be moved). Personally, I’d keep it to two unless it was extremely important to have more than that.

Matt **

According to the 2001 rules,

No more than two crates per team
are permitted at any competition site.

FIRST did say at the MI Team forum that they were going to be getting more strict on Drayage for 2002. What that means, we don’t quite know…

What I like about our crate is that when we open it, it turns into a small workshop. I’ll post a pic if I can find one.

First and foremost crates are expensive and annoying, especially at nationals. Personally I think that a team really only needs one crate, for their robot. That is whats required to be in a crate. The rest of your tools can come with you down the plane (checked in, not carry-on (plus you have to buy your flammable liquids down in Florida)).

I remember that we used to bring down 2 carts, the second one mainly being for the cart.

But the cost on one create is really expensive $600 to $1200, If you go over the weght limit of 400 pounds. Even though I think that FIRST is going to raise it to 600 pounds according to the team forumn. Still its expensive.

Plus it will take a person on your team a very long time in line to get a sticker from the company to remove your crate, and to bring it back.

So, it is a great advantage to bring as little crates as possible to the competitions

You found my reasoning. Our concern was whether or not the airlines would still have strict regulations during nex’t years FIRST flying season. Hence one crate for robot, and one for portable shop, instead of dealing with checking hundreds of dollars worth of tools as non carry on items!

We usually carried our tools with us on board but I don’t think that will be happening next year with the enforcement of the FAA regulations!!

You found my reasoning. Our concern was whether or not the airlines would still have strict regulations during nex’t years FIRST flying season. Hence one crate for robot, and one for portable shop, instead of dealing with checking hundreds of dollars worth of tools as non carry on items!

We usually carried our tools with us on board but I don’t think that will be happening next year with the enforcement of the FAA regulations!!

The FAA are strictly tightening up the restirctions for carry-on luggage. Before this attack, you can bring in a blade that was less than 4 inches in length (like a swis army knife.) But now no blunt objects are allowed as Cary-ons, but they can still be checked items. Flamiable liquids, except for o2 tanks, have always been banned checked or other wise. Now they are telling passiengers like hair spray, WD-40, and common arsol sprays are no longer allowed in fear that they could be used as a bomb. But I know that you can get all of your flamiable liquids in hardware stores in or near disney.

Also, why bring a machine shop?
There is a machine shop in Disney, with really good equipment.

Anyways you can check-in any item besides firearms, flamiable liquids, and of course any illigal devices, becuase there is no way to access your items during flight.

If you check in a tool box, I think that you have to label it “tool box” so they pack it in the right way.

Elgin,

Why are you considering bringing the machine shop on wheels to FL? That thing’s huge!

Wow, I must really be out of the loop with 237…have the people email me, ok?

Have a good one

Are you talking about the trailer??? No not that whole thing just some basic tools, like a mini grinder and mini lathe, and stuff!!

One crate for robot and one for tools, depending on the size of the robot next year!

Ciao!

But Elgin, 237 can’t go to the Invitational.

What invitational??? I was asking how many crates you can bring to FLA for Nationals. If two or more then, one for robot, one for tools!