CRIO electrical question

I have to build the electronics board tomorrow. I was going to use a lexan base because it will isolate the CRIO from the frame as per instructions. However, after thinking abou it, I started to worry about static. We have plastic wheels on a plastic floor near lexan. There is a big potential for static. I thought I would use wood, but eveyone else complained because it would look unprofessional. What’s everyone else using? Is there any cheap alternative to wood that would keep me from having static issues. Also, how are you suppose to attach the CRIO anyway. There is nothing to screw into on it.

If your team mates think wood look unprofessional then they have never seen a piece of wood finished right. If you mark and drill all your holes and then paint it your team colors or black (always looks good) while being careful to not get too much paint in the holes (or you can just redrill them out after you paint it) it will not look out of place. I would agree with the potential for static with lexan and wood is really the best alternative. As far as mounting the CRIO goes, there are two holes which you can bolt through under the modules. If i remember correctly they are under modules number 1 and 6. Just bolt through these and your CRIO will stay in place. Also I remember that the control system documentation has more information on the proper mounting techniques and if my memory fails you can always head over to NI.com and see if you can find the documentation there.

Generally we use masonite (tempered hardboard) pegboard for our electrical box. It’s cheap, non-conductive, adequately durable, ventilated, reasonably light, and comes with its own mounting holes (although the spacing is non-ideal for some components).

We also mount most components with zip ties for weight and to keep loose screws and nuts out of the Victor fans.

Wood can certainly look professional when done right - if your team members doesn’t think so, then tell them to check this picture of our electrical board last year:

The picture is a little blurry, but you would be hard pressed to find a more professional looking electrical board at competition.

Mounting material doesn’t make a board look professional or not. What makes it professional is an intelligent, efficient layout with clean, organized wire management. Everything beyond that is just bling.

Thanks. Now I just have to convince everyone else that we can use wood on the robot. I like the peg board idea also. If I can, I might do that.

Lexan is not going to add to your static issues. Just be sure that is adequately fastened to the robot frame and that the fasteners that are attached to the frame do not contact the Crio chassis when you add that.