crio help

hey we need help we were making some tryouts an practices for drivers, we hit a wall and the negative current cable of the crio was disconnected an now our crio isnt getting energy
what can we doooo???

Did you reconnect the cable?

yes, was that a bad idea???

Not necessarily. Can you take a multimeter and probe the power wires going to the cRIO? You should see 24 volts.

we just made that and the multimiters mark the 24V

rhp,
You measure 24 volts at the connector when it is connected to the Crio? Just to be sure, the Crio must be isolated from the chassis of your robot. The case of the Crio is connected to the black power lead. If there is any other short on your robot, the power to the Crio will be affected. Does the LED on the Crio turn on when the robot is powered? Does the 24 volt LED on the PD come on when you power the robot? If all seems normal, there is a fuse internal to the Crio that may have opened or broke off the board in your crash. Most often the wire at the Crio connector has been pulled out of the connector and simply needs to be reterminated.

we have already try that, the PD LED of 24V is on, but none of the Crio is on, we tried with the multimeter is marking the 24V and continuity, we have made sure any other cable touch the Crio, we didnt turn anything and let rest the Crio about 8 hours and when w tried nothing worked!!!

Another possibility is debris inside the cRIO chassis that shifted when you hit the wall causing an internal short circuit.

That can often be fixed by carefully opening up the cRIO chassis (screws on back) and cleaning out metal dust and fragments that have collected inside the case.

rhp,
You were able to measure 24 volts with the connector plugged into the Crio? If so, try opening the case and inspecting for debris as Mark has suggested. If you still can find nothing, do you have a team close by that you can visit? Try your Crio on their robot and see if it changes. You may have to arrange for a repair/exchange of your Crio.

We’ve seen the cRIO malfunction when the power distribution board’s 24v output is noisy. The output still read 24vdc on a multimeter but the cRIO worked fine on a different power distrib. board. You can try 24vdc from two batteries wired in series, or 12v for the 4-slot cRIO since its input voltage is 9-30 VDC (written next to the power connector).

Uhm, I have a question too… Our robot is way too heavy so we swiss cheesed our cRio… It still runs the code but we can’t put any more code onto it. And it smokes when the battery is plugged in… But it still runs the code that’s on it… Help!!

If this is true, it’s time to get a new cRio:

R65

The Driver Station software, cRIO, motor controllers, relay modules, wireless bridge, and batteries shall not be tampered with, modified, or adjusted in any way (tampering includes drilling, cutting, machining, gluing, rewiring, disassembling, etc.), with the following exceptions:

If you added holes to your cRio or removed material, it is not allowed to be used on the robot any more.

Flustered is not a rookie, nor is s/he particularly flustered as a troll. :rolleyes:
I suspect. :stuck_out_tongue:

Wait what?

Facepalm

Please tell me this is a troll.

A quick search of TBA yields that team 4423 does not exist. So yes, (s)he’s a troll.

Either way, it’s important to point out that rule in case someone from another team comes across the thread and thinks to try it!

Hopefully this was a troll, but I’ve seen it done. Must have been fifty large holes drilling out the magnesium alloy. Must have saved at least an ounce. The most expensive ounce I’ve seen yet.

I searched, but couldn’t find the photo. I’d love to have it for … educational purposes.

Greg McKaskle