cRIO networking

How would one go about changing the IP addresses of the cRIO’s ports? More specifically, how would you (assuming it is possible) change the cRIO’s port 2 from the 192.168.0.x network to a different network (ex 10.4.52.x)?

Also, Is it possible for the cRIO to have a proxy program on it, so stuff on port 1 can communicate with stuff on port 2 (like wireless camera access)?

For networking, how does the cRIO know what port to put it out on? With subnet 255.0.0.0? 255.255.255.0?

Port 1 is 10.xx.yy.2. You cannot change that
Port 2 is 192.168.1.1? You cannot change that either.

You can run a proxy.
If you are using the network cam, its IP is 192.168.1.90 so the cRio’s port2 address makes sense.
Are you trying to forward camera images to the dashboard without overloading the cRio?
Are you using LabVIEW? If you open the ethernet cam in LV, set framerate and size and other options you want, and then stop (don’t even save a refnum), and delete all vision code, it wont make a big impact on CPU speed (not any less then proxying the camera).

Are you asking how to do this inside the context of FIRST, or outside? You can change a lot of things through NI-MAX, that won’t necessarily work with FIRST.

I believe the ni-rt.ini file in the root of the cRIO filesystem is where the IP addresses are set (although there might be another ini file as well, I’d have to look). The cRIO knows which port to send data out of based on the IP address and subnet mask set up for each port. It may have a default route set up for IP addresses within neither of those ranges, but I don’t know what it is.

It seems to me that you can reassign the crio IP address in the format tool. Isn’t that the deciding factor in whether it is 10.17.18.2 or 100.1.7.3?

Won’t that re-write the .ini file when you format and work just fine?

I suspect the OP is wanting to use the cRIO LAN2 port for tethering, and the LAN1 port for wifi, so they’re not (un)plugging the jack all the time. This would be a good idea for FIRST to implement.

Except you would loose use of port2 for the camera… Maybe they could allow a hub on that port? Or use a radio with a built-in hub.

While in 2009 you could only hook the KOP camera up to port 2, this year, a hub was indeed allowed on port 2 (as a custom circuit). The camera fell under custom circuits as well. Port 1 had to be a direct connection to the radio, but port 2 was free for custom circuits.

The best way to change networking settings is in Max – NI-Measurement and Automation Explorer. It is able to make lots of changes to the cRIO including SW installs, but for what you are asking, it primarily changes the ini file.

Since the FRC rules could be quite different next year, I’d say, make as many changes as you like for off-season. Next year pay attention to the new rules when they come out and change the system accordingly.

Interesting things to consider:
Put a switch or hub on port 1 to allow for DS and programming laptop to connect by cable without removing the bridge. You can also modify the camera IP, move it to the switch and have the dashboard read directly from another http connection to the camera – no overhead for the cRIO whatsoever. It is also possible to add a route to the cRIO so that the camera on port two can be forwarded by the TCP stack rather than by a cRIO program – not sure how beneficial this is compared to the direct connection.

Greg McKaskle

I was hoping to be able to do a few things, all (hopefully) 2010 FRC legal

1. (with a switch on 2) have a two cameras on a wireless robot
    a. process images and find a target
    b. tweak the camera’s config for optimum images using their built in server
    c. view both images from both cameras at the same time
  2. have 2CAN and camera on wireless robot
    a. view camera (by passthrough or other source)
    b. work with 2CAN config (via built in server)

diagrams:

jag cam cam
 |    |    |
2Can/Switch
      |
     [2] cRIO
     [1]
      |
    WGA
  ~~~~
Router
|
Computer

Me

Why do you think you need to change the IP addresses on the cRIO? Just make the 2CAN IP compatible with the port 2 network. I believe that is even what is recommended in the 2CAN user guide.

-Joe

Oops, forgot 3
3. not have to change the computer ip address to work with the 2CAN and Cameras when they are connected to the computer

I’m fairly certain the 2010 FRC rules explicitly allowed a robot-mounted switch to do just that, run a 2CAN and Camera.

So you want the devices on the same network, but not on the same network.

As long as you don’t care if off network routing works, you can set the subnet mask to 255.0.0.0 on the PC and the 2CAN and the camera. Set 255.255.255.0 on each of the cRIO ports. Then the scheme you laid out will work for the case where every device is on one of those two networks. On caveat is you won’t be able to talk to the 2CAN or camera via port 1 on the cRIO.

-Joe