Current Sensing and Torque Control

Can controlling the current draw of a motor be used as a reliable way to get a desired torque out of it? I know that torque and current are supposed to be directly proportional in ideal conditions, but I am wondering if this works for my use case. I’d like to be able to see if controlling the pulling force of my team’s climbing mechanism is a possibility.

I will suggest that you look at the motor curve, more specifically the stall torque that the motor exerts to see if it can handle the climber. This should tell you the max torque a specific motor which answers your question directly

To some extent, yes. You’ll have to take motor efficiency into account for limiting the supply side current, which is the method implemented for most controllers, as some amount of the current goes to heat (anywhere from 10 to 100% of it, depending on the motor being used and where on the motor curve you’re at). For the Talon FX, stator side current limiting is available, which should effectively limit the torque of the motor (check the motor curve to see where you’ll be at a given current).

Your best bet is probably to try some current limits out and see what works and what doesn’t. Be mindful of your motor’s speeds when testing though, if it’s not moving don’t keep power on for too long.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.