Curriculum for WPILib/FRC Using Romis

With the influx of Romi robots to teams in 2021, many teams have additional opportunities this year to give students the ability to program on physical robots even if their team doesn’t have old FRC machines or rios laying around. Accordingly, I have developed a curriculum for to teach Java, the WPILib, and fundamental FRC programming concepts using the Romi. This course focuses on command-based programming.

Course materials, available on GitHub: https://github.com/czbeatty/FRC-Romi-Programming-Course

This curriculum assumes no prior software experience and is designed for learners to do without any additional instruction. For example, a student on a team with no programmers or programming mentors could do this course over the course of a fall pre-season. The primary hope is that this will help teams that do not yet have a programming team, start to establish one. Teams with established programming groups may also find it useful for onboarding students with basic programming experience who need to learn how to program robots using the WPILib or the command-based framework.

Lessons 1-10 are available now; lessons 11-20 will be uploaded next week. I’ll probably re-organize the GitHub to have them in markdown instead of simple PDF uploads at that time. My hope is that for teams who have received Romis through grants, there will be a good resource for them to kickstart their programming efforts. If you know of any such teams in your area and you think this might help them, I hope you’ll consider spreading the word. I’m always looking for feedback to make lessons better, so if you have any please don’t hesitate to reach out!

P.S. Huge thank you to everyone who has been involved with making Romis happen, from the initial idea, to the technical development, to raising grant money and distributing them. These will make a difference for a lot of teams.

Thank you,
-Cameron (team 1188)

16 Likes

This is amazing. Thank you.

Thank you so much! This will be so helpful.

Good Job!

do we still give out dots? you get all the dots

2 Likes