cutting wheels

Posted by Athena at 1/30/2001 7:16 PM EST

Student on team #481, DART, from De Anza High School.

Yo!
ok stupid question of the day ::sweatdrops::
Were trying to cut, or rather, shave, our wheel and we’re using a plain knife. Has anyone else cut their tire in a more effective manner?
Thanx ^.^;

Posted by David Kelly at 1/30/2001 8:27 PM EST

Student on team #234, Cyber Blue, from Perry Meridian High School [IUPUI] and NASA Kennedy Space Center/ Rolls-Royce/ Trilithic.

In Reply to: cutting wheels
Posted by Athena on 1/30/2001 7:16 PM EST:

How about using a laithe? They are great if you have one.

David Kelly
Student Captain Team 234

: Yo!
: ok stupid question of the day ::sweatdrops::
: Were trying to cut, or rather, shave, our wheel and we’re using a plain knife. Has anyone else cut their tire in a more effective manner?
: Thanx ^.^;

Posted by Ken Leung at 1/30/2001 8:39 PM EST

Student on team #192, Gunn Robotics Team, from Henry M. Gunn Senior High School.

In Reply to: cutting wheels
Posted by Athena on 1/30/2001 7:16 PM EST:

: Yo!
: ok stupid question of the day ::sweatdrops::
: Were trying to cut, or rather, shave, our wheel and we’re using a plain knife. Has anyone else cut their tire in a more effective manner?
: Thanx ^.^;

One method we’ve been using is to put the wheels on a lathe to make the wheel smaller, or reduce the surface of the wheel to a flat surface. But I suppose you can take the wheel to a band saw, and attemp to cut out a layer of tire. With good enough control, you can probably bandsaw the wheel to a pretty good circle. And I suppose you can drill many holes along the circle you want to cut out, and cut little segment out instead of trying to cut the tire free-handed.

Either case, you might want to mark how much of the wheel you want to cut out. One way is to put the wheel on a shaft, and some how mount the shaft so the wheel can be spinning stably on it. Then hold a marker to however much radius you want the circle to be, and spin the wheel to mark a perfect circle.

Second way is to print out a exact size circle on paper, tape/glue the circle on the wheel to see how much you want to cut.

Posted by Joe Johnson at 1/30/2001 10:47 PM EST

Engineer on team #47, Chief Delphi, from Pontiac Central High School and Delphi Automotive Systems.

In Reply to: lathe?
Posted by Ken Leung on 1/30/2001 8:39 PM EST:

I am ashamed to admit it but I have actually made
wheels using a hand drill and a belt sander.

I chuck the wheel-wannabe up in a hand drill, make a
visit to the belt sander and have a whale of a time.

Hey…

It works.

Joe J.