Daimler-Chrysler may bring this to the US, but would you consider buying one?

With gas prices rising, and a minimum 50 mile commute for me per weekday between work and home, I would consider it for sure!

60 MPG = sweet!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060604/bs_nm/auto_daimlerchrysler_dc

FRANKFURT (Reuters) - DaimlerChrysler (DCXGn.DE) is leaning toward launching its Smart minicar in the United States, DaimlerChrysler Chief Executive Dieter Zetsche said in a newspaper interview on Sunday.

“At the moment, the tendency is clearly positive,” Zetsche said in an interview with Germany’s Frankfurter Allgemeine Sonntagszeitung.

A final decision on whether to sell the car in the United States will be taken this month, he said.

Zetsche repeated that he expected the loss-making Smart unit to turn a profit in 2007.

Smart is focusing on building only a two-seat model after deciding to scrap its slow-selling four-seater earlier this year.

The unit, which has been restructuring to stem losses, had already dropped its roadster model a year ago and also abandoned plans for a Smart offroader.

Another article for those who prefer to get their news from MSN:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5217861/

Canadians will have a chance to drive these too, and their versions will be diesel fueled.

ROFLMAO, no way, I want to at least have a chance at having a girlfriend someday! :ahh: :yikes:
I’m already geeky enough as it is! :stuck_out_tongue:

(Wasn’t that car used in the Pink Panther remake and The Davinci Code?)

No way. This car will be bringin it the ladies…lol. I’m serious though. They think everything that is little is cute. Cars dont get much smaller then this. Also, you can have your seat as far back as you want and not bother the people in the back…no one is in the back. And think about it…all that money saved on gas…thats more money to make em happy. (Girls please back me up on this one)

Well by the looks of it, its clearly a cool car. They probably wont be too expensive to buy either. A car is a car, and that 60 mpg is just a bonus. I’m personally waiting for the low rider convertible edition. :wink: :wink:

Gentlemen, allow me to settle this dispute.

Simply put, a guy who drives one of those will get instant hotness points.

I’ve already seen a few of those here in SoCal. There are much much uglier cars already selling here. So, I don’t think looks on this one is a problem. If I could fit in it, I don’t think I would mind having one. The only thing I’d worry about is getting hit by a large heavy vehicle.

I can’t wait until E85 starts selling over here though. My truck is a flex fuel vehicle so it can already run on it with no modifications. For those of you who have E85 where you live, is it cheaper than gas? If so, by how much?

Actually, Canadians already have the gas-powered two-seat version. (It’s been sold here for a couple of years, now.)

They’re surprisingly strong.

Let’s see …

2002 Saturn VUE (my current vehicle)

• 5 star frontal and side crash test rating
  • Steel safety cage
  • 5 Passenger
  • Loads of cargo space (63.8 cu. ft.) - great for moving back and forth (home to college) all the time.
  • 250 HP 3.5L V6 engine
  • All-Wheel Drive
  • Weighs 3300 lbs. (good for winter driving)
  • 15.5 gallon fuel tank
  • Able to tow 3500 lbs
  • 28 MPG Highway, 22 MPG City

2007 DCX Smart Fortwo

• 3 star crash test rating
  • Tridion “safety cell”
  • 2 Passenger
  • No cargo space (12.8 cu. ft. with the passenger seat folded up)
  • 75 HP 4.7L turbocharged 3 cylinder engine
  • Front Wheel Drive
  • Only weighs 1600 lbs
  • 5 gallon fuel tank
  • Goofy Looking
  • 40-60 MPG Highway (depending on the source)

If I lived in a big city it might be practical. But for where I drive, and with what I use my car for, I’ll keep my Saturn, thanks. It’s much more pratical for me.

Most definitely. I’ve been wanting one since I saw them in Europe.

http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/msnbc/Components/Photos/040820/040820_Smartshowroom.h2.jpg
Heh.
I saw one of those behind me on the QEW on the way to GTR. I was wondering if that was capable of keeping up with the bigger vehicles on the freeway.

Do you really want to be in the smallest and lightest car on the highway?

Been there… Don’t ever want to do it again. :ahh:

I think this would definately be someones second car, used for short commutes within the city.

Highway in the city at 8am never gets much above 10mph.

I commute about 25 miles a day, on secondary streets across town. If I could actually get 60mpg with it, then I would consider it

(if the price was less than, oh… maybe $7,000?)

There is no way I would get one if it were going to be my only vehicle.

Ever since they started talking about E85 6 months to a year ago, the price has shot up. Its been more expensive than regualar petrol recently in Indy, but I think now it’s 10 cents cheaper now. (regular unleaded at bp cost me $2.78 two days ago).

I understand that it does not get as good of gas milage so it comes out as NOT being more economical than regular.

What is the advantage of having a 3-cylinder in it compared to a bigger V-twin. They perform fine in motorcycles.

The only thing (other than money) that would keep me from switching in a heartbeat: One of those can’t hold a robot. If I could figure that one out, game on.

Roof Rack!

wonder what the horn sounds like -
it would be cool if it was a major honkin’ horn
not a little meep beep

edit: when I was in college I had a Rambler. I ordered and installed a horn that sounded like aa-oooo-gah. It was great. If I were to have to give up my big truck, I would want to have a big honkin’ horn. Esp. if the robot is on the roof rack.

Although this car gets great gas mileage, how short do you have to be to fit in it? I am roughly 6’-6" and can squeeze into a Focus but this car looks like a Hot Wheels on steroids. I just can’t see this thing doing to well.

I would by one…to use as a go-cart :stuck_out_tongue:

and yea the fact i cant drive prevents me from bying one too

All the more reason to get one. :smiley:

Agreed. They could definitely have a market in the big city areas and for new drivers, singles, and college students. Scion could have some competition, depending on the price.