Dashboard Meter for encoder shooter rate.

So as the title says, I have been given the task of making a meter on the dashboard to represent the output of the encoder speed in my labview code. The number is from period tasks and is just a output of the shooter rpm…So far I’ve got it to display a number on the main screen, but can’t seem to get the visual meter to work. Can anyone help? Thanks!(:

What do you mean by “the main screen”? Once you have a number displaying, making a meter work should be as simple as wiring the input of the meter to the same source as the number.

For sending data to the dashboard, see the following tutorial: http://www.frcmastery.com/labview-for-frc/2011-frc-steps-to-robot-success/frc-dashboard-customization/

Since you’re posting in the LabVIEW subforum, I assume you’re modifying the LabVIEW Dashboard and not talking about the SmartDashboard project.

A meter indicator should work just by wiring the value to it the same way you wire the value to a numeric indicator. Make sure the range is set appropriately in the indicator’s properties, so you can see the needle move more than just a pixel or two.

Ohh thanks, I feel pretty dumb now! Much appreciated

As an aside, the SmartDashboard palette which was tested in the 2013 Beta allows you to use Network Tables to send information to the Dashboard and manipulate a number of indicators there. There was a recent thread created by Tom Line from 1718 that has links to writeups with pictures of said indicators.

Yes, we made an attempt to isolate and improve the terminology, but ultimately chose to call the communications Network Tables and within that is a set of shared variables called SmartDashboard. I’d prefer that the WPI dashboard be referred to as the Java dashboard and the LabVIEW one be referred to as LabVIEW dashboard. The current terms of Smart and Default sound kinda judgmental, and as I pointed out, they both support the SmartDashboard protocol now.

Greg McKaskle

If OP is using SmartDashboard, I’m 99% sure the 2013 version has an encoder widget built in. There was a class for it added to the source code about 6 weeks ago.

As to the naming of the SmartDashboard… seeing as it works with both Java and C++, simply naming it the “Java dashboard” while technically accurate might confuse some people. I don’t really see the issue here.

As to the naming of the SmartDashboard… seeing as it works with both Java and C++, simply naming it the “Java dashboard” while technically accurate might confuse some people. I don’t really see the issue here.

All dashboards work with all robot languages. Perhaps the name should declare the language needed to customize and extend the dashboard.

Greg McKaskle