DashBoard Viewer

Does anyone know anything about the Dash Board Viewer that is available on the IFI site?

We downloaded and tried it but we keep getting a Com port error whenever we try to launch the application.

We connected between the PC Com port 1 and the OI controller dashboard connector with the serial cable and we set the serial port to 19200-N-8-1 but no luck.

Does this version work with the 2007 OI controller or is there something else that I am overlooking?

Please advise

thanks

Make sure that your serial port is not being used by any other applications like ifi loader or hyperterminal.

Thanks for the reply…

The serial port does not appear to be used by anything else as no other applications are running on the laptop.

Does the dashboard viewer work for you with the 2007 OI?

Also, any other ideas?

Thanks

Have you been able to communicate with the robot controller at all with this particular setup? Is IFI Loader running while you are trying to connect with dashboard viewer? And are you sure it’s COM1? I’ve seen some older machines make COM1 a modem link, so opening that would be opening communication with the modem. Try all the COM port options in the menu in Dashboard Viewer. Make sure none of them work. If none work, you might try checking if your port is installed correctly–I’ll walk you through this if you need it.

A complete sanity check: you are running Windows on a PC, correct? Not any of that Mac emulation software? I had read about issues with some serial hardware when used with the Mac emulation software. I won’t be able to help if it’s not a PC.

JBot

PS: It would appear that there were no changes made to our control system from last year, so yes, the dashboard viewer should work fine with this hardware. Besides, a com port error is not an issue with the controller, it’s an issue with the computer.

Thanks for the reply JBot…

Have you been able to communicate with the robot controller at all with
this particular setup? Is IFI Loader running while you are trying to connect
with dashboard viewer?

Yes, everything else works fine in regards to the joystick controllers running
in both tethered and remote mode…

And No, IFI Loader was not running while I was trying to use the dashboard
viewer…

And are you sure it’s COM1? I’ve seen some older machines make COM1 a
modem link, so opening that would be opening communication with the
modem. Try all the COM port options in the menu in Dashboard Viewer.
Make sure none of them work. If none work, you might try checking if
your port is installed correctly–I’ll walk you through this if you need it.

Yesterday, while I had the OI connected, my laptop had its only com port
set up for com1 and it was set to (9600,N,8, 1) and I changed the baud
rate to 19200. Also, I tried Com2 & Com3 on the dashboard set up also
but received the same error trying to communicate to the port.

So this morning, I went into the CMOS and set the com port to Com2
and made sure it was enabled (as it was for Com1). Also, this morning,
after switching the to Com2 in CMOS and booting up, I verified that
no other device was using Com2 or IRQ3 in device manager.

Then, I launched the dashboard viewer and it came up showing the
dashboard.

**One thing that is different is that I do not have the OI connected
as it currently is at the team’s workspace and I am at home with my
laptop. **

So, I changed the port assignment from within dashboard viewer to
**Com2 **and received that error message again (even with no OI connected)

It seems to display the dashboard when the correct COM port is not selected
and when the OI is not connected.

**This afternoon I will verify if the dashboard viewer will display with any of
the Com ports selected with and without the OI connected. **

A complete sanity check: you are running Windows on a PC, correct?
Not any of that Mac emulation software? I had read about issues with
some serial hardware when used with the Mac emulation software.
I won’t be able to help if it’s not a PC.

Yes I am running XP SP2 on a Dell laptop… I will check it out closer this
afternoon when my laptop and the OI are in the same room.

Thanks for your help!

It is working OK now…

but it is the strangest thing, I changed my laptop serial port to Com2 in the Cmos (it only has 1 serial port) and booted to XP. Then when running the dashboard viewer, if I change the dashboard viewer configuration to COM2 I will get that error message but if the configuration is set to COM1, it works just fine… very strange…

Thanks for the tips and good luck to your team!

Odd, we had that same problem - the only way we could get the dashboard viewer to work was if we changed the cmos setting for it to COM2 and the dashboard program to use COM1.

In case you are interested, there is a DashBoard viewer that is written in LabVIEW that allows you to customize the way you visualize your data. You can find it here:

http://sine.ni.com/devzone/cda/epd/p/id/3422

Questions or General Feedback here:

http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=150

It sounds like others have solved the problem, but isn’t the baud rate of the programming port 115000 baud???:confused:

It sounds like others have solved the problem, but isn’t the baud rate of the programming port 115000 baud???:confused:

We are having a similar problem.
We are using the Labview dashboard that we customized.
The dashboard only works when we are on radios, and goes away when we tether the Rc to the OI.

Has anybody else had this version of the dashboard problem?

Ray
Team 1138

I’ve had problems with IFI Loader not fully shutting down and being stuck in memory before. Make sure that it is really gone before trying to use the serial port for anything else (i.e. CTRL+ALT+DEL and check).