DATABASE IS LIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Ian Krieg at 03/08/2001 10:49 PM EST

Student on team #470, Alpha Omega, from Ypsilanti High School and Visteon Automotive.

I’ve uploaded all parts of my database of FIRST
teams. It has very detailed questions and an
aesthetic, easy-to-read layout. The data is
organized by team number.

Unfortunately, for many teams, I have little more
than their name and their robot’s. Please, register!
It shouldn’t take more than 15 minutes. There’s a
link to registration from the intro page of the
database.

Posted by Ken Leung at 03/09/2001 12:34 AM EST

Student on team #192, Gunn Robotics Team, from Henry M. Gunn Senior High School.

In Reply to: DATABASE IS LIVE!!!
Posted by Ian Krieg on 03/08/2001 10:49 PM EST:

Lately I’ve been looking into many team’s database, and trying to figure out what each robot does.

There are all these database with some robot’s info in there, and I see none of them have all the teams I need. So, I started wondering if it’s possible to put the data all together. As I look into the databases, I realized this might be a potential problem…

I know there are lots of technical problems about putting everything together, but right now that’s not my concern. My concern is, are the people working on their database willing to release their info for someone out there to put together “something” on their own. That “something” is going to have every team’s information, but the format might not necessary agree with the source database…

Even though it probably won’t happen, let’s just see how the people are feeling about releasing data to a complete stranger to be totally reformatted while having no say in it at all. The public is going to pick the combined database because it have everything in it, and ignore the other smaller source databases’ effort in making all these happen.

And say that the stranger do all these without telling the source. Even though that stranger acknowledges the source and give them credit, will the people still be angry about not being told?

Should there be some kind of copy right for each database’s info, or should everyone just happily release whatever he or she have and be happy about how much they’ve contributed?

Posted by Tom S. at 03/09/2001 12:56 AM EST

Student on team #177, The Bobcats, from South Windsor High School and International Fuel Cells.

In Reply to: Database information copy rights…
Posted by Ken Leung on 03/09/2001 12:34 AM EST:

look at this thread:

http://www.chiefdelphi.com/wwwboard/messages/.2001/6649.html

Tom Schindler
Team 177

: Lately I’ve been looking into many team’s database, and trying to figure out what each robot does.

: There are all these database with some robot’s info in there, and I see none of them have all the teams I need. So, I started wondering if it’s possible to put the data all together. As I look into the databases, I realized this might be a potential problem…

: I know there are lots of technical problems about putting everything together, but right now that’s not my concern. My concern is, are the people working on their database willing to release their info for someone out there to put together “something” on their own. That “something” is going to have every team’s information, but the format might not necessary agree with the source database…

: Even though it probably won’t happen, let’s just see how the people are feeling about releasing data to a complete stranger to be totally reformatted while having no say in it at all. The public is going to pick the combined database because it have everything in it, and ignore the other smaller source databases’ effort in making all these happen.

: And say that the stranger do all these without telling the source. Even though that stranger acknowledges the source and give them credit, will the people still be angry about not being told?

: Should there be some kind of copy right for each database’s info, or should everyone just happily release whatever he or she have and be happy about how much they’ve contributed?