Dates Ranges for Search

Often when I’m searching for an old post, I know the approximate date of the post. For example, I’ll remember that a certain thread took place right after Nationals in 2003. With the current search criteria the best narrowing option I have to select is “Find posts from a year and a half ago and older”.

Would it be possible to have a field where the searcher could specify a date range, for example “find posts between xx/xx/xx and yy/yy/yy”? I think it would come in handy for a lot of CD users.

Or, if there’s an actual way of doing this right now that I’ve missed, please let me know. Thanks.

There isn’t a way (that I know of, at least) to do this. I’m hesitant about modifying the search code (which is why I havent knocked a few of the search-related items off my todo list) because its 3000+ lines of code, and very abstract. One day when I get some time I really have to dig into it and figure out what they’re doing. There’s alot of cacheing and optimization built in so large searches don’t crash the server. I just don’t have the time or patience to break that key part of the software. Maybe this is a project for the post-season … hmm.

OR maybe the Mighty Karthik could look into it. He doesn’t have much on his plate.