DeadReckoning or Other?

I was just wondering how many of the teams out there used Dead Reckoning for their autonomous program and how many teams used some other sort of autonomous…

Cipher X

i think that dead reckoning was the easiest. but 1 team i saw had like 10 sensors in the from im guessing line tracking but it was insane.

Our team had a set radius which was made by have the outside wheel spin faster and used a gyro to know when it turn 180 degrees at which point it continued up the ramp.

Well, We originally had our robot set to with a line tracker that used 6 sensors to follow the line to the ramp. It worked but after we used it in competition we realized that it was way to slow. We then wrote a dead reckoning program to bring it up the ramp in the same format as the line tracker but without sensing the line. At Nat’s we decided to modify the dead reckoning. We angled the robot so it would drive strait out until it was about even with the side of the ramp. Then turned it about 45 degrees and sent it up the ramp. It worked quite well for a while until some mechanical difficulties slowed our robot down. We then decided to make a program that brought our robot back under the bar in autonomous so that we could defend the stack. By the end of Nats we had about 5 or 6 different auto modes.

We used rotation counters on the wheels (a magnetic read switch and four magnets) and it worked perfectly at UTC and on Friday at Nationals. By the end of friday and saturday we were veering off course. Perhaps using an optical sensor to count rotations would have been more accurate.

My team had 8 autonomy modes, plus their inverses for use on the other side of the ramp, for a grand total of 16 autonomous modes. The method we used was that our programmer wrote a program to record the signals sent from the joysticks and then save them to play them back at a l ater time. this worked beautifully, and I am still amazed at the skill of our programmer.

While our team did have a line tracking program, we chose to use dead reckoning. We had about three different dead reckoning programs, but we only ever used the one that went up the ramp. We also had our robot start at and angle and drive straight until it was in center with the ramp and then it turned a small degree and went up the ramp. It worked quite well when it was perfected. In one match, to our whole team’s amazement we watched our robot push another robot over the ramp during autonomy. That was pretty cool!

Some of the other programs we had but never chose to use were:

• a program to sweep the field to clear out stacks and
  • a program that drove backwards to knock the robot behind us off course.

We were supposed to be line following, but gave up, and went autonomous. We had one that went up the middle of the ramp, one that went up the inside edge of the ramp and one that went under the bar and messed up our oppenents robot. The latter was my fav!

Team 294 had a line tracking program. It worked, but it would take more than 15 seconds to get up top so we used Dead Reckoning