Dean Kamen Article

Posted by Samuel Lindhorst at 1/10/2001 12:55 AM EST

Engineer on team #240, Mach Vee, from Jefferson High School and Visteon.

I wonder what our Fearless Leader is up to now…

Changing the World again, I’d bet… :o)

Posted by Robby at 1/10/2001 1:46 AM EST

Other on team #108, The SigmaC@Ts, from AIFL and Motorola.

In Reply to: Dean Kamen Article
Posted by Samuel Lindhorst on 1/10/2001 12:55 AM EST:

Where? Who? How? When? Why? And WHAT is IT??? Jeez. That article REALLY makes me wish I had snuck into Deans house just to say hi a third time in a row. Then again, IT may have kept me away. Perhaps IT is what Dean used to keep his floors clean this time around at the party or even IT is what he uses every year to make the FIRST field and rules. Or perhaps IT’s just to ward off people who say ‘NI!’

-Robby O
[email protected]

PS: Anyone up for starting a FIRST fund for IT??? If all those tech moguls are jumpin on the bandwagon, why dont we invest and help out our FIRST teams???

Posted by Samuel Lindhorst at 1/10/2001 11:50 AM EST

Engineer on team #240, Mach Vee, from Jefferson High School and Visteon.

In Reply to: Dean Kamen Article - Wow!
Posted by Robby on 1/10/2001 1:46 AM EST:

This is sounding pretty important. With Jeff Bezos and Steve Jobs involved, this is a high stakes, way important item, whatever IT is. :o)

My goodness… I wonder if he’d buy the NFL, fire all the players and put in robots… I can just see Woody in a referee’s suit and whistle…

More money than Bill Gates… whew… Dean’s retaining 85% interest… I’d bet a billion or two gets thrown FIRST’s way…

Posted by Dodd Stacy at 1/10/2001 1:59 PM EST

Engineer on team #95, Lebanon Robotics Team, from Lebanon High School and CRREL/CREARE.

In Reply to: If that link isn’t working for you, try this one from MSNBC.
Posted by Samuel Lindhorst on 1/10/2001 11:50 AM EST:

My crystal ball says IT is the Independent Transporter, an outgrowth of the IBot technology. IT’s an omni-ball, a unicycle with a single spherical “wheel,” (or functional equivalent, sound familiar?) capable of moving in any direction to maintain balance and move in any direction. Probably powered by a fuel cell as that technology catches up, batteries for now. You can sit on it and move along sidewalks or streets, at a pace faster than the net result for buses or subways, and you can pull it along behind you like a piece of wheeled luggage into buildings, elevators, offices, etc.

Bets?

Dodd

Posted by Robby at 1/10/2001 3:22 PM EST

Other on team #108, The SigmaC@Ts, from AIFL and Motorola.

In Reply to: Guess
Posted by Dodd Stacy on 1/10/2001 1:59 PM EST:

You scare me. B^P… I would have one sooooo fast if that were it! Cool guess, but we will have to just wait and see. Knowing unicycles, I know that that sounds accurate, especially with the setup time and tools Dean used according to the article. Simply attach a seat to a base and lock a handle unit into place, then position the seat and that’s it.

The reason for people possibly not being able to use it is because of the way you fall off a unicycle. Since there is no frame to really hold you in, when you fall off, you have to simply keep running but at the same speed that the unicycle was moving at, or you can get pretty badly banged up. Makes me wonder if he saw me at nationals last year and said "Hey, I wonder if we can do the IBot like that… Or Woodie, or the other handful of maniacs on unicycle there.

Man, there goes my senior project of a motor unicycle for college! Though I am very tempted to jump into MAX and whip up something to toss onto the rumor mill… anyone with me???

-Robby O

Posted by Justin at 1/10/2001 1:14 PM EST

Other on team Blue Lightning Alumni Association from RWU sponsored by FIRST-A-holics Anonymous.

In Reply to: Dean Kamen Article
Posted by Samuel Lindhorst on 1/10/2001 12:55 AM EST:

Okay,

I have been reading all these articles about IT or Ginger. My conclusion…I am going to hit up dean for stock in either Deka or the new company. Because if the speculation that he will be richer then Bill Gates withing 5 years of the product launch…all I need is a share and I’m @ least a billionaire…PLEASE DEAN!!!

-Justin

P.S. If it does generate that kind of Money…we can pretty much assume that much of Dean’s share will be funneled back into FIRST :wink: