Dean Kamen profiled in the Economist magazine

I don’t think I have seen this posted, if so, I apologise.

Here is an insightful article in The Economist Magazine about Dean:

It features FIRST at the start and end of the article and refers to it as “a glitzy robotics competition”. ::rtm::

It is an excellent magazine that publishes a quarterly technology review.
You might also want to peruse at least two other robotics stories from the same issue.
One is about a robot that can forage for its own fuel. It is in part funded by DARPA. It is called EATR lol

Another is about the advances in creating metal skins that can heal themselves.

Oh heck, you may as well check out the nanobots as small as amoebas too.

Here come the Terminators?

IMHO each of these articles could be their own threads.

Thoughts please.

Mr. Moore, you rock so much!!! My senior project is going to be a blog about technology. One of the sections is going to be “my heros” (Dean Kamen) and another is technological innovation in the world of medicine, and then cool new technology. You just gave me 4 entries!! :smiley:

these are great!

…there is a big difference between coming up with an idea and making it happen.

Taken from a part of the last statement in the first link offered for our reading pleasure.

I’ve been thinking about this a lot over the past couple of years and especially this past year. The many students that have had the opportunity to become involved in FIRST, have opportunities and doors open to them. Many are now mentors of robotics teams and have fulfilling careers, inspired by FIRST. I love to hear really good stories about the impact that the program and the mentors have made on these young people as they move through their career choices and establish themselves in our world. I love it when the young student takes it seriously and understands that possibilities are waiting for discovery and innovation, and that challenges are waiting to be met, faced, and dealt with. Perhaps, of the many students that have become aware of and inspired by FIRST over the years, there will be continue to be a few that really ‘get’ it and shape their lives into a mission, working towards goals that help our world, improve our lives (all of our lives), and create some amazing technological innovations that bring change in positive ways that we can only dream of or perhaps haven’t even thought of yet. My question that I keep rolling around in my thoughts now, is - how many are the ‘few’?

Jane

Jane,

I think the answer may be ‘more than we think’. At a local restaurant yesterday I ran into the mother of one of our students. She described how the both the internship her son had at Northeastern and at NASA were due to his involvement with FIRST. ‘They put all those who were in FIRST in one pile and picked from there.’ And this is just one of many stories…as the word gets out, especially to those parents who want their children to succeed…the pathway to success will be through FIRST teams.