Dean Simmons and the Kamens: IRI 2014

Did anyone realize that this year marks the 10th anniversary of the first ever DSK show at IRI?

I heard the show would be big as always (maybe bigger?), so I asked the guys to see if they would give me a hint about what this year’s show will be like (I have an “in”: I’m Lars’ roadie (see my AKA)).

Here is all they said:

“It will be a ball. We’re going to have a ball on stage. In fact, I think everyone might have a ball. A BIG ball, in fact. Definitely a big ball.”

Whatever that means, it should be fun.

Sounds like they might do a parody of Big Balls, by ACDC.

I hope someone gets a good recording this year!

The PNW AV crew will be recording the talent show.

I’ll just leave this here…

10 years!?! Holy cow, I’m getting old.

Again, where’s the “Like” button?

We’re not going to let him sing, are we? :eek:

Maybe the Martians can bring their big balloons again (they’re almost big balls). That’ll scare Karthik off the stage. :cool:

Big ball=big bubble=SPACE BUBBLE

Our tenth year also!

…Yes…it should just be left there.

Chris, Eddie sent me a cryptic message too in the form of his favorite game show, Wheel of Fortune (you know how he and maw just sit around the trailer and watch reruns). I have no idea what the answer is, but here’s what he sent me.

_ _ _ _   (_ _ _)  _ _ _ _ _ _   _ _ _ _ _ _ 
Category: Songs We Will Be Closing With

I don’t know what they have up their lab coat sleeves, but it’s going to be a good time

One more thing: I was told that they need a robot + drive team to volunteer to help out during the show. In order to volunteer, your robot must have the following two features:

1. It must be able to make a gentle pass to the human player (like the inbound/give-back exchange that was popular at the Championship)
  2. It must be able to easily accept an inbound pass from a bad human player.

If you’re interested in being part of the show, please say so.

Anyone have the recording of the Talent Show and DSK?

They should have replayed it during the field power failure on Saturday morning.

The show has been uploaded here If anybody has more angles link to them here. Maybe we can get a multiangle concert experience going :slight_smile:

If anyone has a video like to the talent show let me know! The view from backstage wasn’t the best, and I’d really like to see all of the acts, including our own! We did ‘A Whole New World, Robot Remix’! :slight_smile:

A big thanks to everyone for their help in making the show happen, especially Jeff Moberto, the laser crew, and Rachel for running the power point.

A really big thank-you to team 1310 for volunteering their robot and drive team for perhaps the best (and I would say definitely the funniest) part of the night: Ball to Me.

And as far as the hint from DSK goes, a ball was had by all - especially during the portion of the set with several “ball” themed songs (which included “Ball to Me” above). It all culminated in the band having a ball on stage (a BIG ball: namely a 10 ft diameter beach ball) with a funny FIRST themed rendition of Big Balls, as was guessed by saikiranra above.