Deans list award

For the deans List award can a mentor write the essay nominating the student?

Yup, according to the rules, basically anyone on the team can.

I certainly hope so, or I just wasted the last 3 hours…

Yea anyone can write the award up, even the student that is being nominated can write it up, like an autobiography. Which i though was a little weird.

But a student has to submit it. I’ve got mixed feelings about that.

Taylor, where did you see that it must be submitted by a student? :confused:
I didn’t read that anywhere in the information.

The link where you submit the award is the student team member login page. https://my.usfirst.org/frc/goteams/site.lasso
I don’t see anywhere on TIMS where you can submit the Dean’s List essay.

Oh… good to know, thanks for that tip. I don’t have access to TIMS but I just figured it was accessible there. It would have stunk to be trying to submit it at 4:00 on Friday and be left wondering where to find it.

If you’re a Team Mom, you should have access to that site via your kid.
Good luck!

Actually I do, my daughter is one of the students who has permission for the award submittal. Thanks.

The submission process is quite awkward for teams in which the Dean’s List nomination is being prepared by mentors.

I don’t share letters of recommendation for college applicants on our team with anyone - I treat it as discrete correspondence. My job performance evaluation isn’t shared with my peers - it’s limited to my management, HR and myself. I would prefer our Dean’s List nominations to be handled in a similar manner.

[strike]Maybe a new student named “Ima Mentor” will appear in the Student Team Member Parent /Legal Guardian Information System for our team? [/strike] :rolleyes:

We may FAX our submission to FIRST, if we send one at all.

P.S. I wish this award was better suited for seniors on our team - a FIRST letter of recommendation for a college applicant in April isn’t very helpful.

Is there a certin form the file must be submited in?

Two essays written and submitted. :slight_smile: I nominated the junior I’m most proud of.

I agree.

If I can’t write a positive recommendation for a student, I tell the student.

I’ve been fortunate to write lots of very positive recommendations. Given some notice, it is one of my favorite things to do. But I never share the recommendation with the student for college applications or for internships or for jobs.

This missed opportunity pains me.

It’s not submitted as a file - you copy and paste the text into the submission box.

We all had some issues with line breaks and tabs when submitting the Chairman’s and Woodie Flowers essays. Has anyone tried submitting the Dean’s List essays, and if so, does the same thing happen?

Thank you

It was a hassle getting the document on TIMS

I didn’t think it was possible to submit via TIMS, only via the Student Team Member Parent Legal Guardian Information System. At least that’s what FIRST told me today.

I didn’t think it was possible to submit via TIMS, only via the Student Team Member Parent Legal Guardian Information System. At least that’s what FIRST told me today.

That might be why its such a hassle :slight_smile:

Our students submitted 3 of them today (2 different teams) and it couldn’t be easier.

We submited ours today, only one student. It was supose to be a suprise for this student but they could submit awards and found out, whoops i didnt think about that one, well now they know.