Designing a soundproof enclosure for Omio x8

Our team has received a bit of a mixed blessing in the past few weeks. We’re finally after seven years getting our own machining space in our school. This is an awesome development, but as we all know, granted wishes must always have an ironic twist. In this case, it’s that the room is RIGHT next to the auditorium. Our school rents out the auditorium to outside groups ALL the time. This is obviously going to be a bit of an issue for us, as now we have to be extremely quiet when the auditorium is in use. I think we can work around this with other machines, but our omio is cutting stuff nonstop all of build season. Our new mission is designing an enclosure for an Omio that will let us machine in stealth mode.

So, this is what I’m currently working on. My goal is an STC rating of 50+, as I think at that point, the walls and doors should take care of the rest. It’s an enclosure designed from 5/8 QuietRock 530, on either side of a 2x4 stud with Safe and Sound insulation in between. If it really comes down to it, we could add mass loaded vinyl to the outsides as well. Currently in the CAD I have 1/4 plywood on one side instead of 5/8, but I’m planning to update that.

I’m looking for feedback, as well as how we could best get a door on that thing that won’t be monstrously heavy and break the hinges.

We’re already planning on building a stand to go under this to enclose the compressor and keep it quiet as well. Any thoughts, inputs, concerns?

1 Like

Will you be using any misting or cutting fluid? You’ll want to plan for that with your material selection.

Id also plan for dealing with chips building up.

I’d try lining the inside with Sound foam, may only reduce sound by 5% but anything that Works right?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B010GPFRUQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_54w0Db5EME6RW

Maybe relevant reading:

We’ll have a fogbuster run in there yes, I was planning on coating the inside in a waterproof paint. Though it occurs to me that coolant may require investigating a different solution as I don’t know what the effect of coolant on that kind of paint would be.

I’ve heard that that style of sound foam doesn’t really reduce sound, it’s just helps reduce reflections? Like if you’re inside the room it would help a bit if you were recording, you’d get a cleaner sound on the microphones? But wouldn’t actually do anything for Db reduction? But that’s just based on internet reading (which to be fair is what lead me to the 5/8 drywall + heavy insulation.)

Yes it does, but I thought that maybe it’d help with the vibrations too. But maybe some rubber feet could help with the vibration transfer to the ground/table.

If you’re putting liquid into the box, I’d design in drainage routes.

2 Likes

Hmm yeah maybe. Though the fogbuster is very light with how much it actually puts out.

Any thoughts on how we get a door on there with it being 5/8" drywall to block the sound without it being insanely heavy? Quietrock 530 seems to be amazing for sound absorbing, but also weights 3 lbs per square foot!

A hinge. A very bulky hinge. How exactly do you plan on seeing inside such a box? A camera? If so, you could probably just have some bolts instead of a hinge.

So my plan is a door + a small porthole in it, polycarb + an air gap + polycarb.

I guess several hinges would do it, but man, I feel like maybe it’ll need to be double doors just to handle the weight.

@trycatch

Throw some dual lock on those red lines and on the corresponding location on the door and youll be just fine. Might even be so strong it rips the dual lock off, so make sure to fasten it with some screws or something. Throw a handle on the left and right side and youre good to go. Mind, its not as convenient as a hinge, but its way easier and probably more secure.

I was thinking latches, to really pull the door shut really tight and seal off noise. I do actually like the idea of a door that just “sticks on”, but with 5/8" drywall I feel like it would be insanely heavy, right?

How little sound will you be able to hear after this enclosure? My only concern would be not being able to notice sounds that would indicate a poor cut, or other machining issues.

Dual lock is pretty strong and it looks like you already have a ledge built for the door. All of the downward force would be supported by the ledge, and there would be very little horizontal force to weigh on the dual lock. We have built our (admittedly non sound proof) shield out of a bunch of lexan dual locked to a wood shelf that we have in our shop. (much like a large industrial version of this style of shelving.) Our lexan is probably lighter than the drywall you want to use, but ours is also unsupported on the bottom, unlike what you would have.

I think that dual lock would be plenty sufficient to hold the door and any minimal sound leakage would likely resolve @Akash_Rastogi’s concern of it being too quiet (which was also a concern of mine that I failed to mention)

The door doesn’t need to be heavy, and it doesn’t need to have as high of a rating as the other walls if you position it so it is pointing away from the auditorium.

If you want to make the door lightweight what I am imagining is an aluminum frame with lexan riveted onto it. Use a butyl tape between this joint. This will act as a dampener, but it will also seal the inside of the door. Install a vacuum valve into the door, and draw a vacuum inside the door to act as an insulating barrier.

make sure to add a gasket around where the door seats, and some clamps to clamp it shut, or else it is going to vibrate on the door seal.

For extra sound proofing cut up a heavy quilt that can go over it.