Did anyone use all 4 CIM motors for the wheels

Hi, this is my first post and my first year on a team!
How many of you used a CIM motor for each of your wheels?

The maximum we can use is 4 CIM motors right?

MORT Team 11 did and yes.

Welcome to FIRST and Chief Delphi. :slight_smile:

btw edit your profile so we can see what team you’re on.

2 CIM’s and 2 gearboxes haha we had a choice of 4 though :smiley:

2 CIMs on two tranies. We need the CIMs elsewhere.:stuck_out_tongue:

4 CIMs but our drive train is very special. You all will like it when we show it off. Our robot is motor crazy: 4 drive motors, 2 steering motors, 1 motor for collector, 1 motor for hopper, 1 motor for shooter, and 1 motor for turret. That is 10 motors!! Luckily we aren’t using pneumatics or we would be so heavy.

Welcome to CD. Please include a name (i.e.AKA Steve) so we can address answers to a real person. We are all friends here.

HELLOooo from the North East :smiley:
Yep all 4 are being used for the drive, as we have done in the past years. Good luck to all see ya SOOOooooon :yikes:
MOE and team 88 TJ2 oh yeah??? OH YEAH !!! TYE DYE for EVER …

we have two cims in the drive, and our scoring device has one globe, one cim, one rs545, and one kenyang motor (the silver window motor)

we have 4 CIM’s and 4 gearboxes we are using and a special extra secret thing we are also using on our drivetrain :smiley:

4 CIM motors is the maximum limit, per <R51> D:

<R51>
Motors specifically permitted on 2009 FRC ROBOTS include:
…]
D.
One or two additional 2-1/2” CIM motors (part #FR801-001 and/or M4-R0062-12) in addition to those provided in the Kit Of Parts. This means that up to four, and no more, 2-1/2” CIM motors can be used on the ROBOT.

Last year we used 4 CIM motors on our drive train, the prior year we only used 2… stay tuned for our design this year!

4 CIMs (on the drive train)
2 Globe Motors - Conveyor
2 BB 545 Motors - Shooter
2 Window Motors - 1 turret, 1 feeder
5 Pneumatic pistons - 4 for drive train, 1 is classified until Feb 26th :cool:

Unfortunately, there’s no way around this with our ambitious design. It’s a good thing we know how to design for weight ahead of time!

2 cims on the drive
2 cims on the accumulator
1 FP on the shooter (maybe an additional one after testing)
No pneumatics

We decided that the extra cim would be pointless bc too much torque and we would just spin out and if we go too fast it would be too easy too lose control…so only 2 gearboxes with 1 cim on each

Team 294, Beach Cities Robotics, is using all four CIMs, a CIM and a gearbox on each of four wheels. That’s because we have the two rear wheels angled at 45 degrees for more turning torque.

We’re not even using two CIM motors for the wheels.

Quick Question in relation here, is the limit for the motor this year only apply to the cims? We checked the rules but didn’t find anything there any thoughts?:]

It’s in the Robot rules. You may use only the motors in the kit plus two additional CIMs.

From Rev E…
<R51>
Motors specifically permitted on 2009 FRC ROBOTS include:
A.
All motors, actuators, and servos provided in the 2009 Kit Of Parts,
B.
An unlimited number of COTS servos with a maximum output torque of 55 oz-in and maximum rotational speed of 100 rpm at 6 Vdc (e.g. HITEC model HS-322HD or HS-325HB servos, as provided in the Kit Of Parts),
C.
An unlimited number of FIRST Tech Challenge (FTC) servos (HITEC HS-475HB servos),
D.
**One or two additional 2-1/2” CIM motors **(part #FR801-001 and/or M4-R0062-12) in addition to those provided in the Kit Of Parts. This means that up to four, and no more, 2-1/2” CIM motors can be used on the ROBOT.
E.
COTS motors used as one-to-one replacements (i.e. identical vendor and part number) for motors, actuators and servos provided in the 2009 Kit Of Parts that may have failed or become inoperable.

Emphasis mine.

I don’t want to use all 4 CIM motors because 1. we should use it for a shooter and 2. I think it would provide too much torque, although I havent done the calculations yet.

Do any teams do calculations first, later on, or not at all?

Team is 904 using 4 CIM motors in the drive-train. I just posted a picture of our configuration on my blog.