Did you guys hear this one?

Posted by Erin at 04/27/2001 10:52 AM EST

College Student on team #65, Huskie Brigade, from Pontiac Northern High School and GM Powertrain.

Guess what I heard?

Next year there will be a field made of uneven terrain, we will have to strategically place bowling pins on sensors randomly located around the field, we will have to climb a staircase at the end of the field and lift another robot on top of ourselves so it can hit a buzzer itself and stop the game. 2 robots must be able to lift the other 2 and both robots will have to be touching the buzzer to stop the clock.

but watch out for the buzz saws, trapdoors and the flame throwers!!!

haha.
erin who has too much time on her hands now that school is out.

p.s. did anyone go to disneyquest and play that treasure hunt game?? it was sooooooooo cool!

Posted by Scott England at 04/27/2001 3:23 PM EST

College Student on team #401, The Hokie G.U.A.R.D, from Virginia Tech/MCPS and Virginia Tech/VBEP.

In Reply to: Did you guys hear this one?
Posted by Erin on 04/27/2001 10:52 AM EST:

sounds like it would be an interesting game, though I gotta ask what your source is, I’m not so sure that those fine people at FIRST would even have started designing next year’s game. Though I do think just from what Dean said that it will involve again 4 or more teams vs the field. Here is a short list of what I would definitely expect in next year’s game:

1. due to ever increasing numbers of teams at nationals and the limited number of fields, more robots playing at a time, to give teams more matches, at least 4, maybe 5,6 or 8 bots on the (slightly larger) field at once. I saw someone mention the idea of almost like football, two teams on the field at a time, with different goals, like offense vs defense, then switch, so you don’t waste much time getting the extra round in, robots are already right there, just a quick reset.
    2.) the timer will stick around. probably the best thing they’ve done since creating alliances, it also speeds ups the competition, most rounds get cut early, which really adds up when you’re talking 30 seconds early, 100 times in a day.
    3.) simpler scoring, more complex field, probably not balls. FIRST as far as I know had never used the same object 2 years in a row, I wasn’t expecting them last year, and am definitely not expecting those kickballs to make a return to the field next year. probaly not inner tubes or floppies either. Bowling pins sound likely, plus they have the added benefit of being a rigid body, so not likely to run into a defective bowling pin.

and yes, disneyquest was very cool.
~Scott, who has no time at all on his hands since exams start monday.

Posted by Jason Leslie at 04/27/2001 4:45 PM EST

Alumni on team #157, Aztechs, from Assabet Valley RTHS (Class of 1998) and .

In Reply to: your source?
Posted by Scott England on 04/27/2001 3:23 PM EST:

I heard about the uneven terrain and the bowling
pins but not the sensors. I heard the there will be
REAL car tires (probably 13in) that will have to be
put over the pins like for points.

Jay

Posted by Matt Leese at 04/27/2001 5:05 PM EST

College Student on team #73, Tigerbolt, from Edison Technical HS and Alstom & Fiber Technologies & RIT.

I heard that it’s a real good idea to look at the
name of the forum you’re reading before taking
anything seriously. :wink:

Matt

Posted by Scott England at 04/27/2001 8:03 PM EST

College Student on team #401, The Hokie G.U.A.R.D, from Virginia Tech/MCPS and Virginia Tech/VBEP.

In Reply to: Re: your source?
Posted by Matt Leese on 04/27/2001 5:05 PM EST:

I heard its a good idea not to mock the intelligence of a Hokie, unless you want to mess with the whole flock. But idle/joking threats aside, “I heard” implies someone said it to begin with, and I’m wondering what undercover authority inside FIRST is spilling secrets, and where the bowling pins idea came from, unless someone ‘heard it’ from the big speculation of next year’s game in the general forum. Also asking for a source of a rumor is a way to distinguish how likely it is that the rumour is true, for all I know someone on one of the teams does have a friend on the inside. But paranoia and conspiracy theories aside, I asked for a source just as a way to relate my message to the one before it before going off on a tangent about what I would predict in the game next year (with that explanation, who ever said ESM majors are anal-retentive)
By the way, I heard Woodie is leaving MIT for Virginia Tech, and Dean is giving up inventing to pursue a career in politics.
KAMEN for President 2004

Scott

Oh, and I also heard that scott is gonna ace is mechanics of deformable bodies final next week, now THERE is a inaccurate rumor

: I heard that it’s a real good idea to look at the
: name of the forum you’re reading before taking
: anything seriously. :wink:

: Matt

Posted by Matt Leese at 04/27/2001 8:22 PM EST

College Student on team #73, Tigerbolt, from Edison Technical HS and Alstom & Fiber Technologies & RIT.

Posted by Scott England on 04/27/2001 8:03 PM EST:

Methinks that a Tiger can take on a turkey. :wink: But I
guess you missed the “Rumor” posts that were made
throughout the season here. About all of them were
complete flights of fancy. Then again, too
convincing rumors have been known to get people in
trouble (hey Joe!), so be careful.

Matt

Posted by Scott England at 04/27/2001 9:57 PM EST

Posted by Matt Leese on 04/27/2001 8:22 PM EST:

A tiger might be able to take A Turkey but remember we got 25,000 fighting gobbler’s (believe it or not, that’s the true name) up here in the appalachians. And alas, I am a late addition to the Chief Delphi community, a mere 2 days before shipping this year, but I like the free flow of information, so I’d call myself a permanent addition, there were alot of questions my team had that we couldn’t answer (mostly about the bridge, since we never were able to build one) In the mean time though, I’ll stand by a rumor I’d like to start. . .
Woodie to VT as the new Dean of the Engineering Science and Mechanics department
Kamen for president 2004
and in the mean time, I’ll root for 4 or 5 teams vs the field, with a complex/uneven ground, climbing and hitting sensors, mmmm, Friday at 10 PM, sounds like time for some homework to me.
~Scott

Posted by Erin at 04/28/2001 9:47 PM EST

College Student on team #65, Huskie Brigade, from Pontiac Northern High School and GM Powertrain.

Scott,

Good buddy! You need to lighten up. I was doing it just because no one was posting here, and as a seasoned vet of these forums (contrary to yourself), I know when things need to be stirred up a bit by a little fun “rumor humor”. Take time to look back in the archives and see that my post is only in tradition. Care to talk about any past discussions?

Bring it on. Discussions are my thing. The Huskie awaits.

-Erin

Posted by Tom S. at 04/28/2001 10:36 PM EST

Student on team #177, The Bobcats, from South Windsor High School and International Fuel Cells.

“FIRST as far as I know had never used the same object 2 years in a row”

The small balls from 2000 were the same small balls used in the 2001 competition.

Tom Schindler
Team 177

Posted by Scott England at 05/01/2001 2:12 PM EST

Posted by Tom S. on 04/28/2001 10:36 PM EST:

“FIRST as far as I know had never used the same object 2 years in a row, I wasn’t expecting them last year,”
So shoot me, I’m an engineer not an english major, by that statement I meant that I found it very surprising when the kickballs from 2000 made a return in 2001, in every other year (again as far as I know) the balls/floppies/inner tubes went through at least minor changes from year to year. I’m also a fan of rigid bodies(bowling pins, bowling balls, maybe a frisbee) so that air pressure in balls or half full pillows don’t play too much into the workings of the robot (or maybe its cause Mechanics of deformable bodies is kicking my teeth in while I’m acing my Dynamics of particles and rigid structures class). And yes, this is my attempt at being light hearted (happy dance, happy dance) so I was wound a little tight with finals already, and the genius above me flooded his room, so I was treated to a nice study break of 2 inches of water (go ahead and take a laugh at the ol’ scottster now that the final I was studying for is over, I can laugh about it now) Sorry if this message makes virtually no sense, my brain is now mush and I gotta be careful not to tilt my head too far to the side or my brain will slide out my ear (oh boy and I still get 2 more years of this to look forward to)

Dean mentioned he wanted FIRST to be compared with the olympics, I think he is hinting that next year, we get
THE ROBOT DECATHALON
picture these events,
high jump over the bar in the center of the field
48 ft dash
even diving competitions
I saw a few robots at nationals attempt a triple tuck pike position with a twist and still managed to stick the landing

can anyone think of other Robot Olympic events?

~Scott

: “FIRST as far as I know had never used the same object 2 years in a row”

: The small balls from 2000 were the same small balls used in the 2001 competition.

: Tom Schindler
: Team 177

Posted by Lloyd Burns at 05/04/2001 8:26 AM EST

Engineer on team #188, Woburn Robotics, from Woburn Collegiate and TorDistSchoolBrd, ScotiaBank. OntPwrGen, Enbridge.

In Reply to: I’m an engineer not an english major (ROBOT DECATHALON)
Posted by Scott England on 05/01/2001 2:12 PM EST:

SCOTT ENGLAND WRITES

: Dean mentioned he wanted FIRST to be compared with the olympics, I think he is hinting that next year, we get
: THE ROBOT DECATHALON
: picture these events,
: high jump over the bar in the center of the field
: 48 ft dash
: even diving competitions
: I saw a few robots at nationals attempt a triple tuck pike position with a twist and still managed to stick the landing

: can anyone think of other Robot Olympic events?

: ~Scott

. You might want to check out the “canadafirst” site, as they had a triathalon: robots competing on their own course against other robots on similar courses, several at a time.

Posted by Andrew Rudolph at 05/08/2001 8:54 PM EST

Student on team #212, Lightning Robotics, from Michael Krop Senior High School and ???.

In Reply to: I’m an engineer not an english major (ROBOT DECATHALON)
Posted by Scott England on 05/01/2001 2:12 PM EST:

Early this school year we got an assignment in our engineering 2 class to find out some robot competitions this is a very kool one that is like a robot olympics.

Andrew

Posted by Andrew Rudolph at 05/08/2001 8:55 PM EST

Student on team #212, Lightning Robotics, from Michael Krop Senior High School and ???.

In Reply to: Re: I’m an engineer not an english major (ROBOT DECATHALON)
Posted by Andrew Rudolph on 05/08/2001 8:54 PM EST:

here:http://www.tep.org.uk/mech2000/

Posted by soap108 at 04/29/2001 12:52 AM EST

Engineer on team #108, SigmaC@T, from Dillard & Taravella HS and Motorola.

==========

I believe every year has had balls of some sort except 97 and 99. It seems the floppies got caught in too many bots chains/drive system and I doubt they’d return…also took time to sew those things…

Tubes in 97 were cool! Having the Nation’s Best HP eased the pressure of driving the bot…Andres single handedly won 4 matches for us, including the one that put us in the QF in Chicago. If you pay attention to the FIRST 10yr video, he’s the one that dives off the stage to start crowd surfing. (We musta just won that match :slight_smile:

==========

Bowling pins…hmmm…not a bad idea. Maybe the HP has to juggle them for points? Or maybe the robot? How bout the more it can juggle the higher the multiplier…

Will footballs EVER make it into FIRST game?..

To keep the Rumors going…“My source” says next year no more robots…instead ro-boats. No more gymnasiums, only olympic sized pools.

There will be 3 events-
(1) The 4x50m Relay
(2) Collect the most rings at the bottom of the pool in the shortest time- robots clock out by ‘surfacing’
(3) and 3:00 Water Polo matches…alliances of 5 on 5.

Having WaterBots also helps avoid any catastrophy like the excess rain (or lack of drainage) in EPCOT. “Row, row, row, your row-bot gently down the Pit…” ;~)

I can see the advertising for each team now: SigmaC@T 2002 - Water Resistent to 75meters, able to dive to floor in 4 seconds and can hole 12 rings, 50m in 23sec, we do backstoke and freestyle real well, great defender of the polo goal…
;~)

Classes are out for me too (permanently i hope), but somehow avoided having any Finals…1 was optional which I did for the heck of it-adding a simple GUI to a previous java programming assignment.

A soon2be college grad (Official grades due out in 10 days!),
KA - 108

: 3.) simpler scoring, more complex field, probably not balls. FIRST as far as I know had never used the same object 2 years in a row, I wasn’t expecting them last year, and am definitely not expecting those kickballs to make a return to the field next year. probaly not inner tubes or floppies either. Bowling pins sound likely, plus they have the added benefit of being a rigid body, so not likely to run into a defective bowling pin.

: and yes, disneyquest was very cool.
: ~Scott, who has no time at all on his hands since exams start monday.

Posted by Anthony Lapp at 05/02/2001 5:12 PM EST

Engineer on team #221, MI Roboworks, from Michigan Technological University.

Posted by soap108 on 04/29/2001 12:52 AM EST:

: ==========

: I believe every year has had balls of some sort except 97 and 99. It seems the floppies got caught in too many bots chains/drive system and I doubt they’d return…also took time to sew those things…

: Tubes in 97 were cool! Having the Nation’s Best HP eased the pressure of driving the bot…Andres single handedly won 4 matches for us, including the one that put us in the QF in Chicago. If you pay attention to the FIRST 10yr video, he’s the one that dives off the stage to start crowd surfing. (We musta just won that match :slight_smile:

I respect the fact that you believe you man was the best…but in the spirit of friendly competition, our HP was top notch. I don’t know if he was the Nation’s Best,but he was certainly Michigan’s Best. He consistently scored tubes on the top rung of the tree(nearly impossible to do) and he saved our butt so many times that we carried him on a homemade chariot to every match.
Just thought I’d let everyone know. He may even come out of retirement for head to head someday?

Posted by soap108 at 05/02/2001 9:32 PM EST

Engineer on team #108, SigmaC@T, from Dillard & Taravella HS and Motorola.

In Reply to: not to step on toes…but
Posted by Anthony Lapp on 05/02/2001 5:12 PM EST:

Just wondering- By top rung do you mean the apex (which also counted as a doubler) or just any one of the highest of the three pegs?

Glad to hear of your HP’s success. The reference was to the fact Andres received the actual ‘Best HP’ FIRST Trophy at EPCOT… :slight_smile:

I recall at least twice he tossed 5 tubes on in a match, and getting tic-tac-toe doublers on occasion. Two or three times the match ended 1-0-0 with his last second toss of a tube that won the match.

KA

p.s. I’m sure he’d love to go head-to-head and ‘defend his title’. :wink:

: : ==========

: : I believe every year has had balls of some sort except 97 and 99. It seems the floppies got caught in too many bots chains/drive system and I doubt they’d return…also took time to sew those things…

: : Tubes in 97 were cool! Having the Nation’s Best HP eased the pressure of driving the bot…Andres single handedly won 4 matches for us, including the one that put us in the QF in Chicago. If you pay attention to the FIRST 10yr video, he’s the one that dives off the stage to start crowd surfing. (We musta just won that match :slight_smile:

:
: I respect the fact that you believe you man was the best…but in the spirit of friendly competition, our HP was top notch. I don’t know if he was the Nation’s Best,but he was certainly Michigan’s Best. He consistently scored tubes on the top rung of the tree(nearly impossible to do) and he saved our butt so many times that we carried him on a homemade chariot to every match.
: Just thought I’d let everyone know. He may even come out of retirement for head to head someday?

Posted by Michael Martus at 05/02/2001 12:09 PM EST

Coach on team #47, Chief Delphi, from Pontiac Central H.S. and Delphi Automotives Systems.

In Reply to: Did you guys hear this one?
Posted by Erin on 04/27/2001 10:52 AM EST:

Erin is right on target! I have been saying for years that bowling pins will be used. What a challenge it would be.

Also the uneven floor is in my opinion a very, very possible twist to any game.

And BTW Dean and Woody work on the games way in advance. I would not be surprised to finding out they have a field and prototype already at FIRST Place.