Difficulty Inserting MAXSpline Shaft into MAXSpline Holes

I originally had some doubts about the need for a new COTS “build system” for FRC, but after this experience, I am jazzed about MAXSpline as a product, and I now feel like I need to dig deeper into the greater ION system because I’m curious to see how it can be leveraged to full effect.

I think it uniquely, neatly, and compactly solves the problem of communicating big shaft torques (and to a lesser degree, bending moments carried by these shafts) across the tens-of-inches distances that are commonly seen on FRC-scale robots.

I haven’t been this happy about a new COTS product since the versakey hub.

Here’s a section cut looking at just the left side of the splined joint I was so happy about. (So we’re looking at just 1 quadrant of a symmetric assembly… you will need to visualize the other 3 quadrants.)

Some other things I thought were neat about it:

• Regular 1-1/4 NPS SCH-40 PVC can be used as a (tight) shaft spacer. We cut one of these pipes lengthwise down the middle, and strapped it onto the spline with cable ties. This provides a quick way to adjust axial spacing of components on the spline.

• Flanged sleeve bearings that run on the OD (e.g. 2938T64) are commercially available.

• Shaft collars that clamp on the OD (e.g. 6436K146) are commercially available.

• Flanged sleeve bearings that run on the ID (e.g. 6338K585) are commercially available. We needed to do a little lathe work to make this fit work. However, the really cool thing about this item is that the flange extends out far enough to help axially retain stuff on the OD of the spline.

• It all went together with a few swings of a dead-blow hammer.

1 Like