digital input question...

Alright, feeling stupid. I know that the digial inputs give wierd junk since they are char variables. So what bit do I read and how. Thanks

? :wink:

If you just want to tell if it is HIGH or LOW, you can do a check if it is 1 or 0. If for some reason you have to actually access the bits, experiment. I’m not sure if the chip is big- or little-endie. :slight_smile:

The digital inputs are given as a char, but only one of the bits are actualy accurate, but I dont know what one. I know there is a post on this forum about it, but I cannot find it. AND, i cant remember how to get the value of a specific bit under c, is it var:1 or is it var&1

the digital inputs on the RC are already defined in the code for you - they can only have a value of 1 or 0

all you need to do is look at the right variable

rc_dig_in01 is digital input one on the RC

so you can do stuff like

if (rc_dig_in01 ==1) variableXYZ=123;

if (rc_dig_in14 ==0) variableQRS=127;

what else do you want to do with them?

Looking back at my old post, I meant that, but I see how you didn’t get it. You can’t access a certain bit in a variable in an actual function. The first syntax you stecified can be used in a struct like this:

stuct bitVariable
{
int bit0:1;
int bit1:1;
int bit2:1;
int bit3:1;
// ...
};

Basically, tht gives each of the variables inside it one bit of the int. (at least, I think I got that right… :)) Like Ken said though, you can just read the variable directly.

I’m pretty sure you can, if they are set up in a struct together. Say:

if(SomeStructbits.bit0) blah;

If you only want to see the first bit of any variable, though, use modulus.

if(someVar % 2) morestufftodo;

If you aren’t familiar with modulus, it gives the remainder of dividing by the number you mod by, ie modding by 2 gives you one or zero depending on if the number is even or odd (or rather, if the first bit is 1 or 0).

Good luck.

If you want the 2 least significant bits, wouldn’t it make more sense to do:

if(someVar & 3) evenmorestufftodo;

?

That is what I would do, becasue the modulus operator is often slow (of course depending on the microprocessor). I haven’t checked on the PIC, but if you ever want to move your code to a different platform, it’s best to write for the lowest common denominator.

Sorry for bringing this thread up from the dead.

sorry for not being at all active on my threads lately… at buckeye I came up with something that worked well, though I cant remember it…

I HATE that!