Disabled Mode Alignment Indicator light

(I apologize for my lack of knowledge of the rules, I am very very far from familiar with them)

Is it legal for a robot to use an indicator LED during the disabled period (during setup)? The intended use would be to use the camera to determine if the robot is properly positioned for scoring once autonomous begins.

It seems like this should be technically possible, but I’m not sure about the rules, and just want to make sure I don’t start down a bad path.

Thanks in advance.

All of the outputs are disabled in disabled mode, but you can send data to the dashboard in disabled, where you could send this indicator to.

Would it work to add a custom dashboard output with a bright green light on a stick that is visible from the field? Is it possible to do vision processing on the cRIO when it is disabled?

The vision processing does run when the cRIO is disabled, and you could do the custom dashboard output.

The camera and cRIO are working while Disabled.
You could use the User1 LED on the cRIO itself as an indicator that you’re on target. That also works during the Disabled state.

You could use the User1 LED on the cRIO itself as an indicator that you’re on target. That also works during the Disabled state.

How do you go about addressing that LED? I wasn’t aware there was a usable LED on the cRIO.

Depends on your programming language of course, but it’s called WPI-UtilitiesFRC LEDs.
In LabVIEW it’s already being used in Periodic Tasks.vi and looks like the attachment below.
The LV vi is found in WPI Robotics Library -> Utilities

User1-LED.jpg

User1-LED.jpg

In C++, you can use SetRIOUserLED, defined in Utility.h, to set the LED. You can also control the FPGA LED similarly. Even better, you can read the user DIP switch for last-minute configuration, but that’s not very useful if you’re using a cRIO-FRCII since the “hard switch” is now in software.

Something to consider is that there is a significant delay between when you power up the robot, and when it connects to the field and driver station. If the field reset crew is trying to make up time, they will shoo you right off the field as soon as the robot is on the ground and turned on. You may not have time to wait for the robot to connect and get feedback.

It can be done, but I wouldn’t want to depend on it.

From my experiences, I’ve found that DIO on the Digital Sidecar works just fine in disabled.