Districts 2017

Which regions are moving from regionals to districts in 2017 ?

Texas will in 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2018.

Texas is/was in regionals in 2015 and 2016 its 2017 is when they go to districts

Whoooosh.

I’d bet California is still two years away from districts for maybe the 4th or 5th consecutive year. In my mind, SC should switch, and Ohio/West PA/Kentucky(?) should do their thing too. Essentially the areas between where districts already exist.

If SC does it then I will be shocked. Hopefully they take FL with them though. I would have liked to have seen a combined NC/SC district but alas…

SC would be cool, but I don’t think it’ll happen til 2018 at the earliest.

Florida is about 20 teams short based on the way teams are distributed currently, plus the time it takes to plan the switch.

Minneso… never mind.

Its fun for me to live on SC’s border. I work with 4901 a regional system team and 5632 a GA district system team.

I definitely want districts in SC, but I’m not sure how I can help yell this louder to the people in charge. You’d be amazed what could happen if we had districts for FRC in SC.

Anyone who knows how big SC FLL is knows that things would explode here if we had more competitions in state.

I wonder when FIRST will allow areas to move into Districts without the need for a District Championship. This would address the issue of allowing teams to get more “bang for their buck” in terms of registration fee vs. play time, and wouldn’t restrict areas from “districting” due to lack of team concentration. Teams would be able to accrue points over a season and the top point getters would receive a bid to championship. I’ve heard of this from a certain genius from Michigan cough Jim Zondag cough and think it’s a grand idea!

Any word on when New York will make the switch? Once Ohio and Western Pennsylvania goes to districts, we will pretty much be isolated from the rest of the east coast.

I know Illinois is thinking about it but I have no idea when they will make the switch.

I think you mean Western Pennsylvania. East PA is already in districts, but West PA still goes to the Pittsburgh Regional.

I would love to see FL and SC join the GA district, making a large south east district.

Instead of helping to yell, help to get the work done. Join your regional planning committee. Recruit and train key volunteers. Approach other districts about the process involved in switching to the district system. Etc.

Sometimes trying to join the RPC or help train in key volunteers isn’t as easy as it should be.

I was pm’d this document by recent alumni in the state of Minnesota. I am told that it is given to all of the recent FIRST alumni attending a specific University by the RPC. I was also told that these students have all but stopped volunteering at FRC events in the state because they feel that they are not wanted/liked. The document seems fairly professional but I could understand how if it was presented in the wrong way it would burn some bridges.

That is definitely a weird document, and it’s not clear to me why the key volunteers of Minnesota felt that it was needed. Perhaps this should be the topic of a different thread? This thread may have the possibility of getting derailed otherwise.

I agree. We don’t need another thread derailed with MN people yelling about districts/volunteer issues/et cetera.

This thread goes through many of the complications regarding New York districts.

At least for the NYC area, I’m doubtful it’ll be anytime soon. Upstate may be more likely, but still tricky.

You mean something like paragraph 2?

http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1396557&postcount=105