DIY Limelight - Possible?

Hello all!

After a short research on Limelight, I realized that the firmwares that they release are to be used with a Raspberry Pi Compute Module, which to my guess can be used with RPi boards as well. Is there any other team that tried this previously?

1 Like

As I understand it, a limelight is a Raspberry Pi, if you open one up. I heard that second hand, but from what I know the Limelight’s code should work on an RPi 3.

1 Like

Yes, you can put the Limelight image on a regular Raspberry Pi and it will work. There are some tricky things, such as the camera path Kmust be /dev/video1, and that the default password is unknown. I’m one of the Lead Developers on the Homebrew Limelight project, which is an attempt to make a free, open source and more powerful version of Limelight. We have a guide on how to use a Raspberry Pi with the Limelight image in the #help channel in our Discord. It’s not perfect and hasn’t been tested extensively, and has mostly been used for reverse-engineering purposes, however if you’re interested in some capacity we always appreciate more members.

8 Likes

It’s doable, but… why? If you have your own RPi and the expertise to get the Limelight image running on it, you might as well just write your own vision code on the Pi.

Unless you were reverse engineering, I guess.

2 Likes

Back in my day… Wait I’m still a student.

WPILib has an official Raspberry Pi Image so you can do off-board vision processing. Team 190 used it this year. Limelights are cool, but learning is cooler.

1 Like

I feel we should try and rename this idea. I respect the people over at Limelight. They have produced a great product that has spring boarded nearly every teams vision efforts.

It sounds like it maybe possible to simply load their image to hardware you build yourself and there maybe little LimeLight can do to prevent it at this time while keeping support for Gen 1 and Gen 2 hardware.

not sure what can be used but ridding on LimeLights name feels a bit undercut.

2 Likes

This is being discussed

If you have any name suggestions we would greatly appreciate it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

LemonLight

9 Likes

This is exactly what our little internal “DIY Limelight” project is called.

Reading this post as my solitary introduction to your project, I’m getting a very negative impression. Taking the Limelight image and publishing instructions for running it on a stock Pi does not transform it into open source.

1 Like

Well, no, of course not. We’re really working on constructing similar functionality ourselves - I don’t believe anyone was laboring under the delusion that putting the LL image on a normal Pi was “open source.”
Steven (I think? Maybe he found someone else’s guide.) has worked out how to do it, yes, but that’s far from the primary goal here.

That makes sense. That would have been much clearer to me on first read if Steven had included something like “In order to get benchmarks, we’ve developed these instructions for…” in the post, to make clear the project was more than just getting the image running on open source hardware.

You could go with the classic “OpenLL”. What does LL stand for? It’s up for the reader to interpret.

I apologize for the confusion, I had tried to make the intent clear with

I will try to be more clear about intent and which parts were open source and which parts were not in the future.

Thanks Steven, understood.

That was the sketchiest part of your description :wink:

1 Like

Open Lemon Pi

If the image is open source and not a rip off of the work Limelight has done but a community vision project on the Raspberry pi then no harm no fowl.

Key Lime Pi.

That is all

10 Likes

Yes. Our previous programming lead created a “limelight” with a raspberry pi. The code can be found at https://github.com/TAKBS2412/OpenVision. I don’t know much about how it works, but I do know that it works well and is quite customizable.

If you’re willing to put in extra effort you could always use the GRIP Vision applet to write you’re own vision tracking code and publish the data and everything to network tables via a raspi, it’s cheap and effecient just takes some work