Do you guys actually use VSCode or some other text editor or IDE?

I’m just wondering how other people feel about VSCode ever since switching from eclipse last season, I realize this would’ve been a better topic earlier on this season. Personally eclipse felt a bit outdated to me so I’m glad that changed. At the same time I don’t think visual studio code is good either since it’s only meant to be a light weight text editor, nearly does not have as many code completion features as a full fledged IDE, especially dealing with other gradle dependencies. I am highly appreciative of the fact that Gradle is being used to build instead of Ant, since it allows us to use whatever IDE/ text editors we want, I use IntelliJ since we have some kotlin code and VS code just throws an error whenever we are making calls to and Kotlin classes. I’m guessing IntelliJ was never really an option for FRC since it requires a hefty amount of ram to operate.

The main reason is that we wanted one IDE for both C++ and Java. It was not fun for the couple of years we had WindRiver (customized Eclipse) for C++ and NetBeans for Java. Having a single IDE means we have only a single set of plugins/extensions to develop and support.

5 Likes

As a first time FRC programmer I was glad they switched from Eclipse to VSCode this year. Aside from a few bugs I had no problems with it and didn’t want any features that are present in more traditional IDEs.

I can’t stand VS Code, and neither can my team’s controls mentor, so we switched to IntelliJ. I honestly think the workflow is better than with the plugin.

5 Likes

I use vim/neovim when I can. I like that gradleRIO supports Linux.

The other programmers on my team use VSCode on Windows, and seem to like it.

I use VSCode on our practice field programming laptop that runs Windows (I haven’t gotten around to installing a decent terminal emulator, yet). My few gripes with VSCode is the resource usage and the autocompletion has trouble recognizing the C++ types we’re working with.

2 Likes

At Skunk Works (FRC 1983), the robot programmers use Eclipse (writing in Java). We scouts use just about everything but Eclipse (no big fans). We use Atom, Visual Cafe (I HIGHLY recommend), COTEditor and KompoZer (for Macs).

We tried VSCode for a while. It was ok. The Java support is half-baked compared to IDE’s built around Java, so most of my team switched to IntelliJ. I switched when I couldn’t get JavaFX 11 recognition in VSCode or Eclipse. Haven’t really looked back since.

Since compile/deploy support is all handled via Gradle, the choice of IDE is wide open.

3 Likes

1672 has unanimously agreed that we wish Eclipse was the fully supported IDE still. VSCode has only given us issues and lacks (or hides) some of the features which we became accustomed to in Eclipse.

I know pretty much all the work by our programmers was in VS Code. As for any POC work I did (so that if a programmer came to me with a question I could give more informed hints) most was also in VS Code, but a good chunk was also in vim.

You can still use eclipse by using the buildship gradle plugin and I’m pretty sure they have a list of tasks it can perform, or you can just do it from command line. Hopefully eclipse is smart enough to know where the sources are downloaded for wpilib in the gradle cache to help with code completions.

I love VS Code. Huge improvement over eclipse in my opinion. The plugin that lets multiple people edit the project together is a game changer for teaching programming! Awesome!

1 Like

I use Intellij just because I’m more use to it. I like how integrated VS Code is, but it doesn’t have all the features that Intellij does. Intellij, for me, is better at refactoring, auto-complete, searching, and viewing packages.

1 Like

I was on programming last year when Eclipse was still the standard, but this year my team is coding in C++ through Visual Studio. It’s incredibly basic, but that can be a good thing, and there are some really handy plugins that allow real time group coding over wifi that drastically improved our efficiency.

We fully switched to VSCode and personally, I love it. I definitely think it lacks some autocomplete features, but once I started using it for Java I also began to love it for anything else I’m working on.

All of our vision code (C++) was written using VSCode and I was very happy with it. The cmake and debugging tools work extremely well.

Got a link to the plugin?

Not the OP, but it is probably this:

4 Likes

Yes LiveShare, it’s awesome for teaching robot programming!

1 Like

I found VS Code to be really nice, especially with Gradle. VS Code offers so much customization, and the switch to Gradle now means that we don’t have to depend on Eclipse and can do everything in the terminal with any editor we want.

1 Like

Although that time when I tried to use vim for FRC it didn’t end so well.