do you like this years game

Posted by shaun at 1/7/2001 10:24 PM EST

Other on team #25, nbths robotics team , from nbths and bms.

I just wanted to see what people though of this game this year.

Posted by Chris Casinghino at 1/7/2001 10:31 PM EST

Student on team #131, CHAOS, from Manchester Central High School and OSRAM Sylvania.

In Reply to: do you like this years game
Posted by shaun on 1/7/2001 10:24 PM EST:

I personally think that this year's game could be a lot better.  I feel that making everyone on the field at any given time work together eliminates some of the excitement of the competition.  I think that we will see this when the competition starts.

--Chris Casinghino

: I just wanted to see what people though of this game this year.

Posted by Marjory Stager at 1/7/2001 10:59 PM EST

Student on team #47, ChiefDelphi, from Pontiac Central and Delphi Automotive Systems.

Hi Everyone,

I like this years game in a way. I like how I can see that the arm operators might have a little more to do this year then last year. There are a lot more options of getting a great score this year then last year. Not saying I didn’t love last years game. Last year was awesome I am not going to get into the whole getting around the field i.e. chase part. I don’t know what to say about the field setup.

Marjory
“Frosty”

Posted by nick237 at 1/7/2001 11:26 PM EST

Engineer on team #237, sie h2o bots, from Watertown high school ct and sieman co.

What a shame, FIRST took a spirited competition and ground it into a drudge.
Without the excitement and the mystery of battle the game has little meaning. there will be a winner of course but the pizzazz that made FIRST what we all have grown to love has lost its shine.
Without the one on one or two against two game where the adrenilin realy gets pumping has been removed this year. If I had known what the game was and then given the chance to decide to enter prior to spending thousands of dollars I would pass this year up.
Sorry Dean, we all love you but you have taken the real challenge out of the game. The trust of the teams individualy exhibiting Graciouse professionalism has been taken away, all we have is a mundane task of points.
Im glad I didnt order all the noise makers for the team yet, I dont want to wake up any sleeping students during the ??? What ever you call it.
Nick237

Posted by aTm at 1/8/2001 12:23 AM EST

Student on team #111, Wildstang, from Wheeling High School and Motorola.

To put it simply: Not cool.

The lack of depth regarding the aspect of no defense, simply a strategy game completely lacking any defensive motive.

The lack of a tangible, visible opponent that lends to a REAL sport. No true opponent means we’ll in essence be watching something along the lines of a golf tournament. Everybody is in a sorts against eachother, but never directly head-to-head. And what do they do in golf tournaments?? Soft, boring, quite mockable clapping.

The lack of a simple, understandable scoring system, everything i believe is acceptable except for the “stop the clock” bonus, i feel that that just goes overboard by complicating things by a whole other degree, although it will make for some very interesting matches/strategies. It will also lead for another need to use dew, staying awake during what i’m sure will be hours long brain numbing number-crunching strategy sessions in the next week or two. Even though it does add a whole other dimension to the game, i feel this is some pointless aspect somewhere around the 6th dimension.

The whole hypocrisy of the past FIRST goal of becoming a robo-sport, this year is anything but. If i wanted to be involved in a “everybody is a winner, now let’s hold hands, sing a song, and then get on to sharing our feelings and the group hug” type of deal, before this year, i wouldn’t have believed that i could find such a setting in FIRST. Alas, here i am.

aTm

Posted by Ken Leung at 1/8/2001 3:07 AM EST

Student on team #192, Gunn Robotics Team, from Henry M. Gunn Senior High School.

This year’s game seems to be really controversial, but you know what? It’s time to accept the game and move on with the robot construction. It’s not like they are going to change or anything. These same questions seems to come up again and again, wonder how long it will last.

One thing about this game, though, is that there are lots of stuff you can do in the game, and so if you really decide to be creative, it’s going to be so much fun designing and building the robot that’s going to do weird stuff like this or hard stuff like that. That is, if you decided to just have fun doing the project instead of trying to win and predict team’s behavior and all.

Posted by Chris Hibner at 1/8/2001 8:47 AM EST

Coach on team #308, Walled Lake Monster, from Walled Lake Schools and TRW Automotive Electronics.

I think from a spectator standpoint this year’s game will be very boring until the finals start. The previous games were exciting to me due to the win or lose nature and that some team can make a great move and transform a win into a loss in the last second. Without the win/loss nature, it boils down to watching how high the score can get. This will be entertaining for the first 10 matches but will get old very fast.

Posted by Carl Champagne at 1/8/2001 1:52 PM EST

Student on team #122, NASA Knights, from New Horizons Regional Education Center and NASA.

I am really looking forward to the competitions this year. The lack of direct head to head competition will add a sense of urgency and excitement to the game. You never know what the other robots will be able to do when they get their turn.

Also, the scoring potential is very high, so it is difficult to tell what a “high” score will be until the competitions start.

One of the very few things I didn’t like last year was when you got out on the field and your partner, or even the opponents, couldn’t move due to the failure of their drive system (probably mostly due to the use of set screws). I believe FIRST addressed this issue perfectly by introducing the stretcher. This will allow disabled, immoble robots to still participate in the excitement of the competitions and will help to decrease the level of frustration (slightly).

The idea of everybody working together is also a great idea because you must look at the strengths and weaknesses of the other 3 robots and teams and decide and agree upon a strategy that will allow you to get the most out of the situation. It’s just like the real world: if you can’t cooperate, you can’t win. It’s that simple.

Posted by Chris Dibble at 1/8/2001 11:36 PM EST

Student on team #102, Dextrous Gearheads, from Somerville High School and Ortho Clinical Diagnostics.

As I think of the game more and more, I see more of what they were thinking when they designed it. I mean, how many of us have ever, or even thought of, all playing together in a match? Sure, there might not be the head-to-head ramming of sorts like previous years, but this year adds a new dimension… we will all see how it pans out. I think it will turn out really well.

Chris