does center barrier have lumber on floor entire width?

Posted by Joe Rowe at 1/11/2001 10:24 PM EST

Engineer on team #536, None of the above, from Thurgood Marshall Academic High School and TBA.

The line drawings show the center barrier with some type of material a few inches high that runs along the floor the entire width of the field.

Nothing in the components table under “center barrier” is that long.

longest part there is:
line:64 center barrier label:b3 bridge border 4x6 Hem Fir lumber length=96"

Our school is new to this and this is our first post so please go easy on us in your replies. I thought I would post this here before asking USFIRST. We have found the blueprints to be perplexing. The 2nd draft pdf files will not print unless we scale them down to 11x17. And the text in the comments table is not text. It has been converted from vectors to bitmaps and gets mangled when printed scaled down.

fyi. that cutesy rodent team with the secret weapon… perhaps they are talking trash or they are going to make some type of expanding cheeks that can be stuffed with the small black balls.

Posted by Ed at 1/11/2001 10:29 PM EST

Coach on team #34, DaimlerChrysler/ Bob Jones High / New Century High, from Bob Jones High / New Century High and DaimlerChrysler.

In Reply to: does center barrier have lumber on floor entire width?
Posted by Joe Rowe on 1/11/2001 10:24 PM EST:

Yes, 3 pieces, 8’ each

Posted by Andy Baker at 1/11/2001 10:47 PM EST

Engineer on team #45, TechnoKats, from Kokomo High School and Delphi Automotive Systems.

In Reply to: Re: does center barrier have lumber on floor entire width?
Posted by Ed on 1/11/2001 10:29 PM EST:

Ed,

You beat me to the punch on that one.

By the way, we started downloading your files today from sharingFIRST. Thank you very much for your efforts and willingness to share your CAD files. You set the example. These files will probably save over 1,000 hours of modeling time for FIRST teams (total, not for each team).

Andy B.

Posted by Andy Baker at 1/11/2001 10:39 PM EST

Engineer on team #45, TechnoKats, from Kokomo High School and Delphi Automotive Systems.

In Reply to: does center barrier have lumber on floor entire width?
Posted by Joe Rowe on 1/11/2001 10:24 PM EST:

: The line drawings show the center barrier with some type of material a few inches high that runs along the floor the entire width of the field.

: Nothing in the components table under “center barrier” is that long.

: longest part there is:
: line:64 center barrier label:b3 bridge border 4x6 Hem Fir lumber length=96"

Joe,

You are reading the print right. There is a 3.5" high (nominal 4") board that runs across the field as a “Center Barrier”. That’s what you see in the “CENTER BARRIER WITHOUT BRIDGE B-B” view on sheet 2.

Three boards span the field as the center barrier, with the one in the middle serving as the fulcrum of the bridge. The middle board has the steel angles attached to it.

Andy B.

ps… Welcome to the discussion. Join in as you please… we won’t gang up on you, I promise!

Posted by Joe Johnson at 1/11/2001 10:50 PM EST

Engineer on team #47, Chief Delphi, from Pontiac Central High School and Delphi Automotive Systems.

In Reply to: three 4"x6" boards are B3
Posted by Andy Baker on 1/11/2001 10:39 PM EST:

You need not be concerned that you are confused by the
drawing. This year’s print was very confusing as well
as incomplete.

Did anyone notice that on the print1 the veiws have
nothing to do with eachother? The goals are missing in
the view from the driver station and one of the goals
magically moves from the plan view to view from the
side of the field.

Someone had to go out of their way to make this happen.
Why? We don’t know.

Ah well, I am sure that they tried to do a good job. I
suppose that they just don’t realize how important this
print is to the folks out here in the trenches.

Mark this in your notebooks for the team forum this summer.

Joe J.

Posted by Dodd Stacy at 1/11/2001 11:28 PM EST

Engineer on team #95, Lebanon Robotics Team, from Lebanon High School and CRREL/CREARE.

In Reply to: And the print is a joke…
Posted by Joe Johnson on 1/11/2001 10:50 PM EST:

: You need not be concerned that you are confused by the
: drawing. This year’s print was very confusing as well
: as incomplete.

: Did anyone notice that on the print1 the veiws have
: nothing to do with eachother? The goals are missing in
: the view from the driver station and one of the goals
: magically moves from the plan view to view from the
: side of the field.

: Someone had to go out of their way to make this happen.
: Why? We don’t know.

: Ah well, I am sure that they tried to do a good job. I
: suppose that they just don’t realize how important this
: print is to the folks out here in the trenches.

: Mark this in your notebooks for the team forum this summer.

: Joe J.

I am sorry to be critical, and I admire the job that the FIRST folks do, but the state of the field/goal drawings is often not ready for prime time, and this year is worse than most. It reads like post-documentation of as-developed hardware, performed at the last minute by folks who don’t build things themselves.

How hard is it to have someone review the drawings for dimensional adequacy and internal consistency before starting the clock on 500 teams, especially when the field/goals incorporate such challenging physics? (Yes, we tried driving on our bridge tonite - hoo boy!)

Every other aspect of FIRST’s execution just gets better each year. This area needs attention. (Grmph!)

Dodd