Does your team have "custom" names for tools?

My team has some “creative” names for our tools and I would love to hear other examples

Here is a short list of our tool names

“Finger Cutters”- a pair a wire cutters that are perfectly sized for fingers

“Shank Makers”- name for our files

“Revolver”- name for the weird electric screwdriver included with the kit of parts, also referred to as the “Sonic Screwdriver”

“Fasatners”- someone misspelled fastners when labeling some of our storage and it stuck with us

7 Likes

We would call the deadblow hammer the maraca back in the day. We also had googly eyes on it.

7 Likes

Snips: flush cutters
Good Snips: Hakko CHP-170

14 Likes

Folding hex key sets: FedEx cares

5 Likes

“Persuasion” is our rubber mallet

17 Likes

We’ve called them “key cards” until we got the ones that say FedEx cares.

Also flush cutters are flesh cutters.

4 Likes

Kids on the team call these right-angle drills “penguin” drills because apparently they look like a penguin??

26 Likes

Glad to see we aren’t the only ones calling them FedEx cares. We have even named our GitHub repository that just to show how we know without question that FedEx cares

3 Likes

the problem solver: our orange dead blow hammer
and then theirs is the electrical fixer which is a hot glue gun that works so well and has fixed all of the electrical problems we had at competition.

3 Likes

We do this too! No idea why. Ours had also been called El Penguino at points.

Not my FRC team, but my college robotic design team.

We call our orange mallet “big orange wrench” and tin snips “the big angry scissors”

8 Likes

I don’t emotionally trust anyone who doesn’t call a mallet a persuader…

9 Likes

Our orange deadblow is referred to as “the motivator”

2 Likes

Also our new Milwaukee Installation 4-in-1 was quickly dubbed the “Willy Wonka Drill”

FYI…totally worth buying…

3 Likes

At one point we called our screw drivers tape measures and our tape measures screw drivers.

“The Persuader” was the name of our giant metal mallet until we got a better item to take that name.

4 Likes

we call our mallets “bonks” but thats about it. lol

10 Likes

can confirm, that is a penguin drill.

1 Like

Like others, we have a name for the dead blow - The Convincer. Hex shaft not sliding through? Needs a little convincing…

The 1/8" allen key for the VEX shaft collar screws is “Loopy Boi”. We have many of these as they get lost easily.

https://www.mcmaster.com/hex-keys/looped-t-handle-keys-8/

2 Likes

I also forgot apparently these are not called ribbets

who could’ve known?

10 Likes

when i was a student, some of us called white lithium grease ranch. it has yet to catch back on.

6 Likes