Double cap while spinning ducks 5385

Hi I am Isaac part of FTC team 5385. A few days ago we went to the MI states Championship where we were ranked number three at the end of the qualification matches and we’re picked by the number one alliance. our alliance went on to win the event,Sadly in Michigan each state championship has only two qualifying spots for worlds which means we did not advance. A lot of people I talked to though that our capping mechanism was very unique. But Sense we are not advancing not as many people will be able to see this concept so id like to share it here. I hope that this inspires you to try to use this concept or something better.

https://youtu.be/5G7xAph2TS0

15 Likes

How do middle school FTC teams in FiM manage to pull off such FRC-esque robots, many of which end up being rather competitive? Most of my perspective has been from the high-school oriented side of the program outside FiM, so it’s always been a bit of a mystery to me.

People on the highschool side tend to make often derogatory assumptions or speculations, but I want to give this question a more fair shot.

I think the biggest reason behind how middle school robots in Michigan give off a Mini FRC robot aesthetic is because a lot of teams want to prepare their students for FRC and it is easy to teach a lot of the necessary design skills if you do it that way A lot of my mentors are also FRC students so that can contribute all the skills I’ve learned with designing have come from them.

2 Likes

As someone who is very much an outsider to FTC, what aspects of this robot are FRC-esque to you?

When I look at this robot, I very much see in my eyes what I’ve come to think of an FTC robot as, and don’t see a ton of relations/similarities to an FRC robot (from a quick glance and watching the video a couple times at least). Not to say this robot isn’t freaking awesome. I love that turret with the tape measure arm on it. Genius!

I believe this person is referring to The robot being made mostly out of machined parts

1 Like

A lot of the things on this robot that are machined or cut would likely get printed in an FTC-native program, such as the tape measure or bits on the arm. CNCed polycarb arms are also a fairly uncommon choice when native teams might use aluminum instead.

Box tube on drive also tends to be a fairly uncommon choice versus parallel plate or using a gobilda kit. FRC programs also tend to exclusively use ultraplanetaries whereas hsftc teams tend to favor gobilda gearbox offerings.

I suppose it comes down to the FRC program having much more direct access to machining where an FTC team might have primarily 3d printing or rely on sendcutsend instead.

Gotcha! Thanks for the clarification and insight :+1:

100% agree with with that statement one more thing I would add to the more FrC-esque robot is the thunderhex shaft and even the FrC light

2 Likes

Also this robot uses green LEDs and Adafruit color sensors with lenses on them and retroreflective tape on their team shipping element to read the barcode position, which they described as like a Limelight, which gives that little bit extra FRC-ness.

At the same time, FRC doesn’t usually permit such wacky designs as this with the extension rules, so in a way this is so not FRC-esque.

For this team in particular some other things that make their FRC robots similar are:

The mentors are between both FTC and FRC are basically the same. Some students from the FRC team will also help mentor the FRC team. So when everyone is used to a certain way of doing things, they tend to do things that way.

The FTC robots are built in the same room as the FRC robot. So all the same tools are available. Also when you run into a problem that FRC had solved you can just look at the FRC robot to see if you can shrink it.

I’ll also point out that if you closely at some of 2075’s FRC robots you’ll see a lot of FTC things in them. For example the Destination: Deep Space robot had multiple neverest motors on it.

5 Likes

+1 can confirm

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.