down with black t-shirts

can someone please tell me how i can convince my team that black is a BAD color for t-shirts? it will get too hot and i know they will all regret it. Erik (Erodge) and I tried to tell them that, but the won’t listen. please feel free to visit our site, http://www.geocities.com/hhsfirst02 and vote for what you think the best color would be. ^.^

We had black shirts for our team and I thought it looked really spiffy and professional and you couldn’t really tell when they were dirty (a big plus for those boys working in the pits all day). Personally, I liked them. Granted, we didn’t go to Florida where heat would have been an issue.

But being on the committee that did t-shirts, here are arguments that we heard against black shirts that you could tell your team.

1. As you said before, heat! (won’t work if you’re from a cool state or you only competed in winter months like us)
  2. Black shirts will fade after many washings and will make your srhits look old.
  3. Lots of teams have black shirts and it was hard to find my teammmates sometimes cuz our shirts didn’t stick out.
  4. You’re limited with what colors to silkscreen on your shirt. Unless you do a lot of white, yellow, or bright red, it won’t really pop out.
  5. White shirts are cheaper than white shirts (though I personally don’t like white, too bland and gets dirty easily.)
  6. This sounds hilarious and mean at the same time but we really did have to take this into consideration: someone on our team, not mentioning any names, had bad dandruff and it showed with the black t-shirts.

My favorite FIRST shirt of all the ones I’ve collected is a Steinmetz shirt from Team 19. It’s black.

We always talked about black shirts being too hot for Florida, but when it comes down to it… they’re not so bad.

During the spring and summer times black is too hot for florida…trust me…I try not even to wear black shorts during that time…

Hey Sara ya i think that light gray is cheaper, looks better, and is cooler. Its a scientific fact that black is hotter in the sun!

Maybe you guys should get Hawaiian Shirts :smiley:

We wear black shirts, and have every year for the past four years. People have tried to get us to change, but it’s part of our “image.” The FEDS just wouldn’t be the same without black shirts and a white FEDS on the back. While I would agree it is not the best color for Florida, I’ve never been uncomfortable wearing black at Nationals.

Black will make you look thiner

Mabey you can convice them it’s a bad idea because the same person who though up that color also says 1089 is an even number.

*Originally posted by nuggetsyl *
**Black will make you look thiner **

So will vertical stripes.

I know — Black Vertical stripes! :slight_smile:
Oh wait… nevermind…

perhaps a referee shirt???

*Originally posted by Jeff Waegelin *
**We wear black shirts, and have every year for the past four years. People have tried to get us to change, but it’s part of our “image.” The FEDS just wouldn’t be the same without black shirts and a white FEDS on the back. While I would agree it is not the best color for Florida, I’ve never been uncomfortable wearing black at Nationals. **

Yeah … I couldn’t see the FEDS without black shirts - that would just be weird :wink:

We’ve had numerous colors over the years:

2002 - grey
2001 - red
2000 - white
1999 - black/red
1998 - ??
1997 - ??

I think we’re sticking with grey shirts from now on, You can’t tell when they are dirty (again, great for working in the pits!) and they don’t get too warm in Florida. Grey is a good color :slight_smile:

• Katie

*Originally posted by Erodge *
**Hey Sara ya i think that light gray is cheaper, looks better, and is cooler. Its a scientific fact that black is hotter in the sun! **

But it is also a scientific fact that black radiates heat better. Why do you think that in egypt people wear black and dark blues so much.

116 uses three colors, one for each day of the competition.
Usally a grey, a red, and white.
Black is usally mentioned as goning to be hot, but it will be hot anyway, and the tents/pits are covered and air conditioned.

One day you wear it at Nats/other competition. You wear it all over the place at home the rest of the year. (I wear mine all the time, with 14 it’s easy)

Wetzel

Still DRE

Our team has two shirts: one for the practice day, and one for the two competition days. Even though I curse my dark(almost black)-blue practice shirt, I still prefer it as the piles of chain grease and other misc. robot fluids don’t show at all. My white shirt from last year has a GIANT streak of black grease down the front, so I don’t ever wear it anymore. Anyway, I guess what I’m trying to say is that black is horrible in terms of heat, but worderful for the pit crew.

Whether something gets hot in the sun or not depends on the ratio of its emmisivity to its absorptivity. The emmisivity is a measure of the ability to radiate energy. The absorptivity is a measure of the ability to absorb energy via radiation. If it absorbs better than it emits and there is a source of radiant energy it will be hotter than the environment. If it emits better than it absorbs it will be the same temperature as the environment, because other methods of heat transfer will make sure of that.

For you REALLY technical types I’m assuming steady state here.

For most things emissivity and absorptivity are assumed to be close to the same. There are special applications where materials are deliberately modified to improve one or the other. They are definitely not dependent on color, though if you’re trying to push things one way or the other the materials used can do that for you. (ie it’s really hard to make white paint that’s loaded with carbon black).

I don’t know that anybody has ever measured the relative emissivity and absorptivity of a tee-shirt, let alone a black one. But it might be an interesting experiment. (meaning the results might surprise you) Science fair anyone?

We had the same argument last year. I’m told our school has finally chosen school colors (by executive fiat I think) and we will be using those this year. The bad feelings from last year were a major, though not the only, driver for this.

Two years ago we had gray shirts. When I took a picture of the crowd at Nationals we were easy to find. We were the dull spot way up on the right side. But teams in black didn’t show up all that well either.

I’ve been waiting for a year to try and explain this to someone.

ChrisH

Heh. One layer of black shirt is fine. I wore my Dickies work short (team shirt), a heavy yellow or blue tee under it, then a beater as an undershirt. I was fine :slight_smile: Wimps…sheesh :stuck_out_tongue:

IMO, black is nice, provided you have a nice design. A bright color and large, noticeable design is a MUST!!! Something unique…

Our shirts are black with red and yellow flames at the top. They were never to hot for our team members. (maybe it has something to do with our team mascot, the Devil? who knows?) anyway, our shirts stand out. People know team 87/Diablo/RVR is in the house because of our shirts.

Try Tye-dye, and just use all the colors. :slight_smile:

Well, between us, Wildstang, and the X-cat’s, it might be hard to find your own Tye-dye design (We are all very destintive)

We manage to tye dye everything. Shirts, short’s, labcoats, socks, headbands, we even do our robot in the off season. :slight_smile:

http://www.tj2.org/2002/imagepages/p4260241.html

http://www.tj2.org/2001/imagepages/phaneuf.html

We also have our “Dress Blue” shirts. These are usually worn at event’s like when we visit the Statehouse, Friday compeition day, or events where we have to look slightly spiffier.

http://www.tj2.org/2001/imagepages/mrscalefandmoe.html

Besides, Blue shows up better than White. :slight_smile:

http://www.tj2.org/1996/imagepages/96hamp11.html

I do have to warn you. You have to practice alot with Tye-dye to get it right. (Unless you have someone Make your shirts) We’ve always hand Tye-dye’d our stuff.

Here is probably the only picture you will find of our First Tye-dye shirts. We’ve had Tye-dye every year we’ve been in the compeition.
http://www.tj2.org/1996/imagepages/playerstation.html

Took us till around 1998 to get it right.

well…we just got black t-shirts…and they were quite popular at deleware…everyone was trying to steal them from us and offering us all sorts of cool things… actually they are black and blue. very pretty.