Dr Joe's Gif of the Week Contest 2018 is born

Dear Chief Delphi community,
Many of you recall the epic Triple Tortuga contest that I held in 2016.

That was so much fun.

I took a break last year. This year, I have been sent these two clips by fellow FIRSTers:

This made me think that this year may have some amazing video clips that we can all share and vote on.

Sooo…

Let’s do this.

Here is the gist of it.

• Look for the appropriate thread for the week that the clip is from.

It will have a title something like:
Dr Joe’s Gif of the Week Contest 2018: Submissions Week N

• We will vote on a winner the FOLLOWING week
    Look for a POLL with a title soemthing like:
    Dr Joe’s Gif of the Week Contest 2018: Poll Week N

• Gif with the most votes in the poll earns a $10 Amazon gift card

Some rules/details:

1. Clip has to be an actual GIF
    that you include in a response to the submission thread via that “Insert Image” icon. Find a public place online to host the gif file and then link to it when you use the “Insert Image” icon. You should find a sort of safe place to upload them because if nobody can see your gif because their school or work blocks the host site, you are not going to win. FWIW, I really want the GIF to play as soon as you load your message. Don’t make folks follow links if you want to win the $10.

2. Clip must include a shot of a robot
    competing in an OFFICIAL match played the week named in the thread.
    You can have crowd shots, reactions, split screens, grinders, SpaceX Boosters, etc. but you MUST have at least a full second of an FRC robot in the Gif some how some way.

3. You have to IDENTIFY the robot(s) and the match played in the submission thread.

Not kidding. IN YOUR SUBMISSION, ID THE ROBOT(S) AND THE MATCH PLAYED
I prefer the TBA match naming convention if you want to impress the judge.

1. First come, first served. If clips of the same event are submitted, the earlier submitted gif is the winner.

This can get a little tricky. Look to copyright law for guidance. If your gif is “transformative” (say you use the same clip but the REASON it is a better gif is that you added something creative or juxtaposed other items or in some way added a transformative element then MAYBE the judge will allow a reuse of that clip). Just like in the US legal system, it is going to be a roll of the dice. If you want to risk it, go for it. Eyes wide open. Read next rule.

1. I am the official arbitrator of disputes and rules interpretations.

Start your own dang contest if you are really that unhappy.
Really. Life is too short for this kind of nonsense.

Let’s have some fun.

Cheers,
Dr. Joe J.

are we allowed to submit more than one a week?

I don’t want to mess with the Week 2 submission thread.

You say it has to be video from an official match. Do practice matches count?

You’re on the line here…

As much I a would like to get good gifs, I think I am going to say no. Too many shenanigans goin’ on during practice matches. Let’s stick with official matches.

Dr. Joe J.

Yes, submit as many as you want. Please put the in individual replies to the submission thread.

Joe J.

are you doing a week 6 contest?

Yes, I am sorry, I have had some personal things going on plus Team 88 was competing in the NEF CMP.

We’ll have a week 6, week 7, week 8, week 9, and I think even Season’s Best gif, if I haven’t gone mad with how much futzing around it takes to get the threads all just so.

Okay, now nobody bother me for about an hour while I set up the voting for week 5, and submission threads for week 6 and 7… If I lose track of what I am doing, I’ll have to start over from the beginning.

Dr. Joe J.

I’m just going to leave these here until the competition thread for Detroit half champs is posted…

12 inch tall robots have their advantages…

Still can’t explain how the Power Cubes exploded the way they did and I watched it from behind the glass…

Indeed. Watch the blue side of the scale for the next few seconds. With uneven partners to balance 2221’s iron cross, we did this.

It looks like the intakes rammed into the lower inches of the second tier of cubes. They had nowhere to go until they suddenly went up at the fence end, vaulting the third tier cube, and leaving them only enough energy to tumble out.