Drill Motor HowTo

is there a howto floating around (with graphics) that explains the method in order to remove the pins in the drill motors?

i’ve seen this thread: http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15861&highlight=drill+motor+pins

the only thing it has is the text directions. A graphical howto would be great for anyone who creates one!

–yang

http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/papers.php?s=&action=downloadpaper&paperid=150

this is a photo set you should be able to do it by theise

Cool. Thanks a lot.

The text description and the power point by 116 is good, but I am looking for some directions a little more descriptive than that. Does anyone have any better directions regarding taking apart the drill transmission and removing the anti-backdrive pins?

Don’t worry about it so much. We managed to do it the very first time without messing up anything using only the text directions. It takes, literally, one or two minutes to do after the first time. Here’s my brief layman’s directions, for what they’re worth:

1. Move the white clutch ring towards the input/motor end of the transmission.

2. Twist the black midsection parts of the transmission counter-clockwise. It shouldn’t take much pressure to disengage it, but do so slowly. There are several free-floating parts in the transmission that will fall out if you let them.

3. The pins are one of those parts. They are two very small metal cylinders. You can’t miss them, they’re the only small metal cylinders in the transmission. :wink: If they don’t fall out when you separate the transmission halves pick them out yourself.

4. Make sure that the metal ring with the three metal protrusions is sitting in the forward half of the transmission when you try and reassmble it; this makes things much easier than sitting it on the rear section.

5. Now, carefully examine the inner edges of the teal forward part of the transmission and the outer edges of the black rear part. The connections between the two should be fairly obvious.

6. Now this part is a bit tricky: you have to slide the two halves together while turning the output shaft of the forwad half until both the outer plastic couplings and the inner metal parts mesh correctly. It helps to have a second person turning the output shaft.

7. Once everything slides back together, simply twist clockwise until it locks into place.

Here are a few other pointers on taking the pins out of the drill transmission.

To remove the pins, you have to pull back on the gear shift away from the transmission output end. Then twist the front of the transmission. Now before you pull the pieces apart, put matching arrows on the two pieces. That will help you line up the pieces to put them back together.

I recommend separating the pieces with the front of the transmission pointed straight up. You should then see the pins sitting on the rear section, nestled in amongst the other parts.

To re-connect the pieces, we found it easiest to take the parts now stacked on the rear section and piece by piece, relocate them to the front section. You will then wind up with a single gear in the rear section to nestle in to 5 gears on the front section. That takes a little bit of jiggling to get them to fit together sometimes.

Then with the gear shift still back towards the rear of the transmission, turn the two sections until your arrows line up and press the sections together. Once again, you might have to twist them back and forth a lttle to get them to come together.

Lastly twist rotate the pieces to lock them in place. (Since I don’t have a transmission right here, I won’t guess which way to rotate them.)

I would pull back the gear shift and put a cable tie (pull tie) on it to prevent it from coming apart and all the pieces falling out.

By the way, I also recommend that you do not store them with the drill motors inserted in the transmission, as you may find that someone picks up the combination and the drill motor drops and breaks some plastic off as happened to us.