Drill motors

Posted by Nick at 2/16/2001 9:55 PM EST

Student on team #240, Mach V, from Jefferson Monroe High School and Visteon.

Does anyone think that two drill motors (with gear boxes in low gear) could drive a 130 robot + 2 goals full to the brim with balls? I think that is an estimated 300lbs.

Posted by Jimmy Holmes at 2/16/2001 10:37 PM EST

Coach on team #27, Team RUSH, from Osmtech Academy and Textron.

In Reply to: Drill motors
Posted by Nick on 2/16/2001 9:55 PM EST:

: Does anyone think that two drill motors (with gear boxes in low gear) could drive a 130 robot + 2 goals full to the brim with balls? I think that is an estimated 300lbs.

Nick,
Yes it is possible… and accomplished
Jimmy Holmes/Team#27

Posted by Tim Gates at 2/16/2001 11:29 PM EST

Engineer on team #288, RoboDawgs, from Grandville High School and X-Rite/Delphi.

Yes two drill motors in low gear will drive two full goals up the ramp, BUT, you need traction and you will probably have to gear the output of the drill motors down some to do it effectively. That means less speed. If it is not to late, add the fischer-price motors with a 3:1 or 4:1 gearup. Also, if you lift the goals slightly when you grab them it will add weight to your traction surfaces.

good luck
Tim Gates

Posted by Ken Leung at 2/17/2001 5:46 AM EST

Student on team #192, Gunn Robotics Team, from Henry M. Gunn Senior High School.

It is totally possible… that is if you gear the drive train right. I mean, if you gear it right, you can pull any weight you want up that bridge. The problem is, how fast it takes you.

Given the power from the two drill motors, they can be geared efficient enough to achieve such task with a decend speed.

You just want to make sure you have enough traction to do it. Watch out when you are grabbing the goals, and make sure your wheels are actually touching the ground. And you probably want to build up some momentum before you go up the bridge.

Posted by Nick at 2/17/2001 8:31 AM EST

Student on team #240, Mach V, from Jefferson Monroe High School and Visteon.

I can’t believe I forgot to post the ratio we wanted- If we used a 5:1 gear ratio with the previous scenario is it very possible, somewhat possible, or time to come up with another idea?

Posted by Alex at 2/17/2001 8:57 AM EST

Engineer on team #405 from Richmond Community High and Infineon Technologies.

Our robot will do it. However, we are using a further gear reduction than just the low setting of the drill motor. Our robot uses a tank tread drive also.

Alex

: Does anyone think that two drill motors (with gear boxes in low gear) could drive a 130 robot + 2 goals full to the brim with balls? I think that is an estimated 300lbs.