Drive motors

Posted by David Kelly.

Student on team #234, Cyber Blue, from Perry Meridian H. S. and Rolls-Royce.

Posted on 11/11/2000 6:07 PM MST

I’m just curious. What are other teams using for their main drive motors? We have had problems with the keyang motors overheating. We are going to have to swich to drill motors. Other than that, we are about DONE! Praticing all week!!

Good Luck!

Posted by Jason Rukes.

Engineer on team #109, Arial Systems & Libertyville HS, from Libertyville High School and Arial Systems Corp & SEC Design.

Posted on 11/11/2000 9:14 PM MST

In Reply to: Drive motors posted by David Kelly on 11/11/2000 6:07 PM MST:

How long are you running the Keyangs before they overheat? You may be wasting a lot of power on friction in your drivetrain. Try this, disconnect your drive motors from the drivetrain. Lift your drive wheels off the ground and try spinning the wheels by hand. If you can’t easily spin the wheels, then you’ve got a friction problem. Here are a few things to look out for:

1. Make sure your axles are aligned. Bent axles create a large amount of resistance.

2. If you are using bushings with shaft collars, make sure the shaft collars aren’t rubbing against the bushings too tightly.

3. Your chain should have some slack in it. Don’t try to over-tighten the chain by removing an extra link. Just use some PVC, a fender washer, and a bolt to make an idler.

More power to Ya!
-Jason

Posted by Nick .

Student on team #240, Mach V, from Jefferson Monroe High School and Visteon.

Posted on 11/12/2000 5:35 AM MST

In Reply to: Drive motors posted by David Kelly on 11/11/2000 6:07 PM MST:

I would highly advise against using the drill motors unless you want your robot to be pushed around all the time during the match, however it’s your decision, not mine. We are using the keyangs and the globes in an interesting combination that is worth seeing the day of the competition. But be advised, if you try to replicate our drive train, it WILL be frustrating to get it to operate smoothly.

Posted by Jason Rukes.

Engineer on team #109, Arial Systems & Libertyville HS, from Libertyville High School and Arial Systems Corp & SEC Design.

Posted on 11/13/2000 8:05 AM MST

In Reply to: Motors for driving posted by Nick on 11/12/2000 5:35 AM MST:

Hmm… fast AND strong? You will be a worthy opponent, grasshoppa.