Drive Train

Can you help me design a drive train for First Robotics. It need too be able to go over different terrain. Thanks

First off, welcome to Chief Delphi.

Now on to the question:
Considering that the FRC game hasn’t come out, what makes you believe that there will be terrain. The reason I ask is that the best drivetrain is the one that does the job, and since we don’t yet know what the task is … well that makes designing a drivetrain difficult.

I might suggest that you search CD (middle of orange navigation bar at the top of this page) for drive trains to get an idea of whats typically buildable by a FIRST team. Then start strategizing from there.

I have been given a task by my teacher to design a drivetrain , ans he believes that in the future of FRC you could have to cross different types of terrain.

I would still suggest you search CD-media for some drive trains that fit the bill. Also I hope you are not planning on getting someone on CD to do the assignment for you.

Still, “terrain” is a general term. Does your teacher mean “terrain” as in an uneven playing surface with little bumps and valleys everywhere, but the bumps and valleys are only +/- half an inch from “ground level?” Or does “terrain” mean having a 4 inch tall “wall” in the middle of the field that you have to traverse?

Each scenario would require different designs. For example, the uneven surface could be solved with larger wheels or pneumatic tires. The 4 inch wall on the other hand could be solved with even larger wheels (perhaps to the point of impracticality), or some kind of articulating chassis.

Fair enough.

OK, again first off, do a search for drive trains here on CD — there are plenty of good ones here.

Next, you need to define what type of terrain is expected. Things like; is it hard or soft? slope or step? solid, granular, or liquid?

Then you need to know how much manuverability, torque, ground clearence, speed, etc that you need.

There is a lot that goes into a drive train. Another thought is that the Kit-Of-Parts can be easily assembled into a 2- or 4-wheel skid steer drive base that typically does OK in FIRST matches (It won’t win you any awards, but will most likely not fail on you either during matches).

Anyways, I hope this helps, and good luck with your assignment.

if you are ready to do some digging you can look up on the 92 game (the first FIRST competition ever) maize craze. in that game they used corn husks instead of carpet. From what i know they used 6 wheel drive trains with extra wide wheels to spread out the weight of the robot.

The only other advice i would have for you is to look at off road vehicles and figure out a way to incorporate large wheels with shocks if you truly want an all-terrain robot.

OK Ryan, so what next?

1. Do the searching others have suggested. Look at robot designs for a few hours, try to understand them.
  2. Think about what kind of “terrain” you want to conquer. A good challenge would be a 4x4 piece of lumber to cross. Not as easy as you think.
  3. Find a design that you think might be able to do that, and then design your own.

There is a saying: “Steal from the best and invent the rest”. What this means is that you should first see what others have done to solve this “problem”, and then use those ideas to come up with an idea of your own. You don’t think the engineers from General Motors start from nothing when they design a wheel for a new car, do you?

Most of all: Keep asking questions. We at Chief Delphi are here to help.

Also. Me being the CAD guy I have to suggest that if you have a CAD program avalable, use it. It will allow presenting it to your teacher much easier. We here on Chief Delphi are willing to help with how to use the programs as well, though I suggest you go through the tutorials as well.

Nothing was written here…

Considering the producers of some of the most popular CAD software sponsor FRC, I would say it’s a very good idea to use their software. Especially when Autodesk gives away free licenses of Inventor to teams.

Solidworks does too. I think there was a thread on ChiefDelphi about it this past summer. I know our team got 5 DVDs with 1 year licenses, as well as some downloadable licenses for 150 days.

EDIT: I’m not 100% sure if this is the right link, but it looks like it. http://www.solidworks.com/sw/education/student-design-competitions.htm

urrrg, but I never get the freebies, and what can I do? lolol

http://students8.autodesk.com/?nd=first_home&lbon=1

That was quick… Thanks in advance.
How long would I be able to use the software?

Pretty sure its one year licenses and you get a new one each year.

-RC

P.s. If you want a Solidworks License, send Marie Parchland a PM.

1 year. I have a 1 year license on both Inventor and SolidWorks. I can help with either one if you ever need it.

Thanks a million for y’all help, I used to think that SolidWorks, AutoDesk can only be gotten through purchase, not anymore! :slight_smile: I’m still not sure whether to use SolidWorks or AutoDesk… For those that have used them, what are the major distinctions between the two?

Personally I prefer SolidWorks. It’s mainly a matter of preference. I learned CAD on inventor and even got pretty good at it. Well… I say that. I really wasn’t… Anyway. I then tried out SolidWorks, which I have found to be more user friendly. Everything is well laid out. And easier to find than it is in AutoDesk Incentor.

cool, then I’ll take your advice and download SolidWorks.
For SolidWorks, do I get a new license every year too? because I’ve just read on their official website, and it says that "a limited (non-renewable/non-extendable) license. ".