Driver's Station Board

Hey guys!
Team 2534 is thinking about building a real driver’s station board. Currently, we are using a bod that holds our computer and Xbox remotes, but I want to build something a bit more sophisticated. Any tips or tricks to know about when building it? Thanks!

We made ours a few years ago. The codriver section can pop out (the plate with all the switches) so that we can yearly make a new custom layout for each game. It was especially helpful last year as it allowed us to include a separate button for each lift height preset.

One thing that should be a priority for any team is wire management; a messy board will allow wires to be yanked out and frayed much easier, and if you loose even one button it could easily cost you the match.

For convenience, make the board short enough for “short-armed people” such as myself to be able to carry it around. We had one 2018 but it was so long and heavy we stopped using it after our first couple matches.

We used a pelican rifle case. We cut vents in the back of it for the computer to vent. Then we got a usb hub and a ethernet extender to plug stuff into so we didnt wear out the ports on the computer itself. We use a logitech controller for driving and 2 fight stick gamepads for the operator. We cut the foam in the case so everything sits down inside it nicely.

1 Like

Ours is made of 1x1 square tubing Welded with some lexan on top of it It works great and we drilled holes to mount it to a drum harness it’s great for out reach events or any time you need to drive the robot and walk

1 Like

My team put one together in a couple of days. We used a piece of OSB left over from our Minimal Field for the main board. We also cut two handles, also from OSB, and then attached them to the board using some brackets and wood screws. For the two PS4 controllers we use, we put together some scrap wood and sanded them down so that the controllers sit nicely. The laptop was attached with Velcro. We then painted the whole thing blue, our team color, and put some tape around the perimeter, and shrunk it with heat. (The VEXnet in the picture is not being used in any way other than looks; I just happened to find it in an old box of electrical parts and thought it looked kinda cool)

I think it looks quite good. Overall, it was a rather simple (and fun!) project to make for the team

We used to make some pretty big setups…then in 2008, we decided to minimize. A few years later we made some medium sized boards. then several years ago gave up on them, and have been using a laptop and one Xbox controller since. Simplicity is nice…and easier to carry.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.