Dual drive/lift setup

I know I’ve seen bots in the past that use the same motors for their drive train and endgame mechanisms.

Anyone know where I can find dome examples?

Check 2018, there were a fair few bots that had this mechanism attached to the elevator for double/triple climbs.

I will see If I can remember some team #s

Not sure of good robot examples, but I know many teams that will use this PTO on their robots for doing it.

2 Likes

Is there a reason you want to do this? - Just curious as it seems difficult

Only 8 40amp breaker slots, 4 of which are already taken by the drive.

Likely 2 for a shooter. We don’t have everything mapped out yet, but would like more than just the 2 slots left.

May be easier to just pay for the new PDP over a PTO option.

Some years motor slots are very limiting, especially if running swerve. However, this year doesn’t seem that bad on motor slots.

Here is a COTS solution if you need it:

254 ran a PTO setup on their 2020 robot - Torrance gave a very in-depth look at their gearbox setup in their reveal thread.

2 Likes

I would double-like this if I could.

Seriously it’s hard to give 254 enough credit for the amazing documentation, explanation, and presentations they do. They embody “pass the knowledge on to the community” and all that past work hopefully will pay dividends to the community this season and next as we get back into the swing of things after a season-and-a-half away(ish) from the shops and fields.

1 Like

In a context where your primary source of energy is already mechanical (e.g. powering a tool on a tractor, a factory powered by a mill or large engine, or any of various pumps and compressors associated with an internal combustion engine), PTO is the simplest, most logical solution. In the context of a device where the primary source of energy is a storage battery, PTO is usually the last resort when you find that you have hit one or more resource limits. This is because PTO means switching something, and that almost always increases complexity and therefore decreases reliability for a given amount of development effort and cost. The classic FRC case since motor count limits were lifted is the number of channels on your power distribution system. Weight and dollar cost can also drive this.

To make a long story short: in FRC, don’t do PTO unless you have to. That is, until and unless you figure out you can’t do two separate robust mechanisms because you ran out of some resource. And probably then only after you’ve looked at all the non-PTO options you can think of.

1 Like

Honestly, buy a REV PDH. It’s much simpler, officially supported and endorsed by FIRST (theoretically stricter standards for reliability and stuff), and likely cheaper than buying some specialty PTO gearbox. Then you’ll have the potential for 20x 40A breakers, not 8

2 Likes