EI vs Chairman's at Worlds

Our team won Regional EI for the second year in a row this year and we are working on putting together our presentation for Worlds. Both times we’ve won EI at regionals, we have also presented for Chairman’s at that event. While I know that the EI judges are separate from the Chairman’s judges, there are many people on our team that believe conversation leaks between the two sets of judges, and that a strong Chairman’s presentation can increase the chances of winning EI, especially because EI is sometimes considered second Chairman’s. I was wondering if anyone knows any teams that have won EI without presenting for Chairman’s, especially at the Championship Division level?

1 Like

27 won EI at Champs in 2017 and they did not present for Chairmen’s. EI at champs can be won by any team regardless of awards won earlier in the year.

3 Likes

They are similar but very different once you get down to the nitty gritty. As a team that goes for both each year, and winning both last year, we structure the presentations for both specialized specifically for that award. EI is all about working with professionals in your community and spreading engineering (focused efforts on the last year) while Chairman’s is all about having the greatest measurable impact (over a period of 5 years). Efforts for EI usually acts as a tool for creating a greater impact but not everything that is in your Chairman’s presentation will necessarily help you get EI. Wording is very important.

4 Likes

Thanks! I know that any team in a division can compete for EI, I’m just curious to see if the trend favors people that present both vs people that only present EI.

You do not present for EI. It is a pit judged award. The judges come to you, you do not sign up for a time slot like you do the Chairmen’s.

2 Likes

I meant present to the judges in the pits.

Thank you! That’s very helpful.

ok good. I just always see people talk about EI like its a presentation award and what not and we need to stop talking like that. It confuses teams, especially the young ones.

2 Likes

What would you call pit presentations as to not cause confusion

1 Like

We usually call them “pit pitches” since they’re a bit less formal than a typical presentation.

5 Likes

Ah, I like that! Thank you
@Ryan_S

2 Likes

This question just came up a few weeks ago in a similar thread. You might want to check this thread out.

2 Likes

I’ll throw a monkey wrench in this discussion.
Our team has never won an EI at the approx. 40 regionals we have participated in.
However, back in 2008 we won the only EI award given at Championships that year.
We were told by one of the judges that based on our CA presentation, it was part of the decision. I wont say who that judge was, but em yeah.
Its no secret and the stats prove that the majority of EI winners at regionals do in fact present for RCA. No data to prove this but just a personal observation at events we did.
Teams such as 27, 2468, etc. are exceptional teams that I can see winning an EI at an event without presenting for an RCA. Team 2468 had already won RCA at their Week 1 event and won EI later this season.
IMO, doing an RCA presentation can only help your EI chances because judges get an extra opportunity to hear what teams are doing.

2 Likes

In my personal opinion, pit judging seems to be what helped us most when we won EI. At our first competition (NY Tech Valley) we spoke to pit judges constantly. As soon as one came around, we’d make conversation and talk for a while. We made sure to bring up everything we did with each judge, even if it wasnt the original question they asked. We made sure to cover everything with each judge. A couple judges came back around a second time to talk with us again.
At our second competition, we didnt really talk to many judges. I’m not sure if this was because there just werent as many judges around our pits, or if our team didnt reach out as much. We used the same chairmans presentation at both regionals.
Based on what we experienced, and the predicted amount of time with judges at worlds to be around 90s
(Judging at Worlds

)
i’d make sure you always have someone stationed in your pits who is always ready to speak to a judge about anything and everything your team has done. Chairman’s may help, but pit judging seems to be where its at, especially at Worlds.

2 Likes

In order to interview for Chairman’s at worlds requires winning at District champs or a regional. All teams at Worlds are eligible for EI. At the district level we had teams that advanced to district championship on EI but didn’t qualify for points. I believe they interviewed for EI, and won.

1 Like