Einstein Audio

At Houston right now on the second level at the corner on the first baseline. The audio from the speakers is very distorted and we are unable to make out any words.

Is this an issue affecting everyone or is this specific to where we are sitting?

Most of what Dean Kamen I could not hear at all. As well the speakers don’t seem to be positioned very well for sound distribution.

Yep. Just like the view, video feed, and wait to get in. Minute Maid just plain stinks.

well it was built for the Astros…

I agree, Minute Maid has been an organizational disaster. However, as a Houstonian I feel obligated to defend my team with the following photo: :slight_smile: (yeah, I know the MLB season is long and things change)

I tease, as a kid I liked the Astros, but most of the reason was because they had a hill in CF.

It has been cutting in and out on the web cast too… Almost like a short in the cables or something.

The audio quality improved dramatically after I drove home, fired up my computer and put on the livestream…

I spent the whole time inside except for maybe 10 minutes total outside, during which I was covering my ears, and still this morning my hearing was rather muffled.

I was in the press box and quite frankly the audio was painfully loud. Had to wear noise canceling earbuds just to ease the pain. I’d consider it a safety hazard. In addition there was definitely some wireless mic issues. Let’s keep “Make it Loud” as a metaphor and not a directive to deafen teams.

^^^THIS!

FIRST claims to really care about our safety, and they are (overly) passionate about certain aspects. That being said, they regularly ignore other aspects that can be even more likely to occur due to their conflict with the “Make It Loud” ethos. Music volume is one of the biggest problems. Especially for smaller district events in a more enclosed space, the noise level can be deafening. I don’t see why you need to wear at all times around the field to protect your eyes from the rare stray ball if you don’t also have to wear hearing protection to protect your ears from the constant bombardment of decibels. At small district events, pits are also more likely to be in the same gymnasium as the field, meaning that it can get equally as loud in the pits, which makes communication that much harder. A few years ago a mentor on my team almost got his finger cut off because he wanted to fix something on our flywheel and he didn’t hear the programmer call that the robot was live. Of course there’s an easy solution to this: turn down the music. But that would take away from the audience experience, which apparently is not an option. I could go on and on about the hypocritical, unnecessary, and even unsafe restriction FIRST and the Safety Advisers often place on us (read: must wear gloves while operating drill press), but this is not the right thread for that.

I understand at the end of the pits in front of the speakers the teams were handing out ear plugs to those coming to talk to them. There’s no real reason for the volume (and lack of clarity) at this event, or at any of the FRC events.