Einstein Match 84 -- Ouch!

Match 84 on the Einstein field today, i believe, was the first match this season where the final score (raw score, not QP) was 0 to 0. Both alliances were DQ’d for carpet damage. That’s got to hurt!

boy it sure did! i sure hope they’re not dq’ing for fraying the carpet. tearing is one thing, but fraying?? we have never torn the carpet.

oh well …tomorrow is another day:)

Yep, that was us, a 0 to 0 match really plays havoc with your ranking. To my knowledge we have never torn the carpet, however, due to the design of our wheels we will scratch up some lint when we get into a tug of war over the goals. I’m not sure but I think the damage occurred when we were pulling the other robot across the carpet with their pogo down. I guess the ref thought that the best thing to do was to DQ us both. Oh well, I guess that these things happen, it was still a great match.

Don Taylor
M-n-m Team 343

tell me about it! that was my team, i am on 263, our alliance partner 494 burned the carpet :). just think of it this way, our little black robot pushed all three robots and 2 goals down the feild and caused the damage…so i am not complaining because it shows how strong it was :slight_smile: we also made history with the first double dq

*Originally posted by Don Taylor *
**Yep, that was us, a 0 to 0 match really plays havoc with your ranking. To my knowledge we have never torn the carpet, however, due to the design of our wheels we will scratch up some lint when we get into a tug of war over the goals. I’m not sure but I think the damage occurred when we were pulling the other robot across the carpet with their pogo down. I guess the ref thought that the best thing to do was to DQ us both. Oh well, I guess that these things happen, it was still a great match.

Don Taylor
M-n-m Team 343 **

I was down in Florida with Team 343 (thanks again you guys!!!)and I decided to volunteer for FIRST, so I was live at the action, I saw everything…

As far as I know the carpet was torn up by the other robot, not by team 343 (the robot was green I believe). The refs saw the damage after the match and they were not able to determine for sure which robot caused the damage. It was a very difficult call I would say:

-someone should be penalized because someone broke the rules by damaging it…

-to dq one alliance without knowing 100% that it was them would be much more unfair if the wrong alliance gets dq’ed

-dq’ing both means that one alliance gets penalized although they are innocent!

All the above theories only work if just one alliance damaged the carpet but I’m pretty sure that that WAS the case since all the damage was on one straight line spread over 2 or 3 yards and the kind of damage looked al the same (only torn up, not like burned and torn, as it could result from two different robots)

It was a really difficult call and when I think more about it, in my opinion THAT would have been a match that should have been replayed since EVERY judging call IS unfair…

If you think 1 DQ is bad, imagin being a 3 goal robot who has opponents repedly pull out of the end-zone at the last minute on you?

Imagina what that would do to your average. Well, for us, it knocked us down to 69th place. But, we were still picked 4th for elims, so its all good.

Yes 0-0 does suck!

In archemedies we got 0-0. The other team had thier tether come into illegal contact with the goal. On our end, our partners, who’s robot was dead the entire match, decided to let thier mentor throw the balls in since they couldn’t do anything else and oops… there goes our points!