Enable PWM outputs immediately on RoboRIO

I’m using a RoboRIO to build a summer project and I want to have code that starts running (and controlling PWM outputs) immediately on startup. How can I achieve that?
Or barring that, where can I look to learn more about the code execution path on a RoboRIO?

It is possible to create a lightweight library that would start up quicker then the current WPILibs. However, the FPGA will always disable all outputs until it received enabled from the Driver Station. NI and WPI do not release the code to the FPGA, so the only way to bypass this would be to rewrite all of the FPGA code.

As for looking at the execution path, here is a mirror of the WPI Libraries. For Java, the entrance point is located in this class if you want to trace the execution path.

FRC libraries have integrated safety features, as you are probably aware.

Is that what you are asking about? Or are you asking something else?

Perhaps some additional info on what the project is and what the PWM is for will open up other suggestions to help.

Greg McKaskle

I am using it to interface a computer to motors and sensors in order to control an autonomous golf cart. The goal is to write a C++ ROS package which resides on the RoboRIO and immediately connects to the rosmaster over ethernet on startup, at which point it becomes a slave to the computer and receives sensor input / issues motor control commands.

I sent a PM with a few options.

Greg McKaskle