End of Philly regional

This year’s home regional for our team has been good and bad at moments. We ended up in 5th place finishing strong with 120 and 117 QP’s in our last two matches respectivly. However our alliance was beaten in two of three matches in Quarterfinal two. It was tough to get knocked out so early in the eliminations, but in defeat we can learn very much. I feel that of the regionals so far Philadelphia has had the best balance between ball handlers and goals. Props go out to teams 157
Aztechs and team 665 Oakwood. These two could put enough yellow and orange balls into a goal to overcome a 2 to 1 goal differental. The biggest shame though is that the #1 seed and regional winner team 157 can’t go to nationals. It simply comes down to a matter of money. Their machine could shoot one ball after another in quick succession with almost 100% accuracy. Well good luck to everyone and see you at nationals.

The biggest shame though is that the #1 seed and regional winner team 157 can’t go to nationals. It simply comes down to a matter of money. Their machine could shoot one ball after another in quick succession with almost 100% accuracy. Well good luck to everyone and see you at nationals.

it wasn’t money it was odd teams could not go unless they earn a spot.

They choose to do 3 regional because of this year rules. which is a shame. the best robots will not be at the nationals.

They would of love to make plans to go to the nationals 5 months ago but not now with only a month to go. It takes a lot of planning to go to the nationals. Living in New England it is not just a short road trip to FL.

So for the robot that wins the national they have to know there are better robots out there that they did not compete against.

That’s not true.
The team that wins the national competition should know that they didn’t necessarily beat the best robots of the crop. It’s a 50/50 chance that the best robot in the competition is going to have an even or odd number. Plus, it isn’t exactly like no teams with odd numbers can go to EPCOT. We’re an odd number team, and we’re going based on last year’s performance.

It’s not fair to the even teams to say that the best robots won’t be at nationals.

It’s not fair to the even teams to say that the best robots won’t be at nationals.

Ok there will be odd teams also there. But I am saying that not all the best robots will be at the nationals.

I can say that because team 157 won Phily and is not going to the nationals. I have never hard of any regional winner not going to the nationals.

So some of the best robots are not going to be there. I would rate the nationals as another regional.

Unless FIRST does something that would make it fair for all the great robots to go to the nationals. This nationals will go down as a great regional. because the nationals are leaving alot of great robots out.

It would be like if you go to a bike race and you are ranked 25th and the top 24 racers don’t show up does that make you the number 1 bike racer. I do not think so. I think that if you win you have beat all the robots for that day and not all the great robots. It kind of puts a black eye on the whole national bit.

This is my two cents on the whole thing.

In response to you ppl i am a member of 157 and i am pretty sure that somewhere in the rules that it sais that if you place #1 at any regional that you get to participate in the regionals!

As to the other statement someone made… they were right in saying that we cant go cause of cash… we dont have the required funds to even send a few kids and a chaperone.

i hope this cleared up any speculation.:wink:

Even if the Philly Regional winner won’t make it to Nationals many other great teams will. Sure their will be a group of not-so-good robots there. But, the whole point of FIRST isn’t to say “We’re the best”. It feels good to say you won but the learning envolved plays a major role. I say teams like 157 who can’t go to nationals and any other team not going to nationals also deserves respect. I know teams who were almost completly broken for a good part of the regional, but the thing is they learned. They learned steel is not a good thing to make a hook out of because of weight, and other things. That is EXACTLY what FIRST is. I compliment those teams who didn’t do so well but they tried, which is what counts.

regional winners automatically qualify,
only even numbered teams are allowed as walk ons

regional winners automatically qualify

Yes, but if you can’t afford it, qualifying doesn’t make much of a difference.

Stephen

Yes, but if you can’t afford it, qualifying doesn’t make much of a difference

On the other hand, many organizations will be more likely to help out since they’ve “qualified” to go. Try getting in touch with the local paper and running a sob story. ie “Underdog local team gets amazing finish, can’t go to Championship due to lack of funds”.

A determined push to take advantage of the situation is required. Will the whole team go? possibly not. But somebody probably can if you don’t give up before you start.

Just my $0.02

As to the other statement someone made… they were right in saying that we cant go cause of cash… we dont have the required funds to even send a few kids and a chaperone.

Your team made a decision back in the fall when they found out that odd teams had to earn a slot to go to the nationls.

So the team said they would do 3 regional instead on 1 or 2 regional and the nationals.

Because you did not know what was going to happen this year. that is why that was a good decision.

do three regional and not go to the nationals.

This is why you have no money becasue it went to the three regionals.

hey we just got the official word…Aztechs are going to Disney World!!!

YIPEE! Now, hopefully we’ll see you guys again there and this time win. Stuart is even stronger than ever :slight_smile: