Enjoying Build Season !!

Every year I try to express to the kids on our team ways of getting the most out of the Build Season experience. It’s all emotional and team building stuff, but its just as important as choosing the right gear ratio.

Below is what I told them this year at our last meeting.

Feel free to add to this list of suggestions. Maybe we can all benefit from each other’s advice.

ENJOYING BUILD SEASON

1. Take care of yourself. Eat, sleep, and relieve your stress. Taking care of your mind and body will make you a happier more productive member.

2. Take care of your school work. Prepare yourself for build season by organizing your school work and personal schedule. Being organized will help you make it through with flying colors.

3. Talk to your family about your plans and make sure that your plans match with theirs.

4. Remember that you are on a TEAM! That means not just helping others, but also asking for help if you are in need. We are here to support each other.

5. Listen to each other and COMMUNICATE. Express your concerns, your ideas and your needs. Remember that your coaches and teammates are listening.

6. Do your best at every job, no matter what. Doing your best and feeling accomplishment will give build season meaning and make it fun.

Happy Build Season to All of the Teams in FIRST!!

excellent post

i can say many times that i have found myself stressing terribly during the build season, or like most years, getting sick because im overworked overtired overeverything.

follow this advice, it really will make build season a more pleasant experience.

I’d like to add an amendment to Item 1.

1a) This applies not only during the 6 weeks, but also during the “come down” period after the 6 weeks where the excitement seems to disappear in a flash. Take this time (however long it may be from ship date to your first competition) & rest, relax, and prepare mentally & physically for your competitions.
Remember; more fun is on it’s way once again after you have shipped the robot. :slight_smile:

Also, make sure that there is a process of initial design that is strict. We were just doodling last year, trying to decide what we should build. Did not work out too well. Everyone wanted their design to be built and we ended up with a box with wheels (that barely passed inspection).

good luck and merry building, vivek

If I may add to an otherwise great post…

Ask Questions.
Why use lock nuts there?
What is that red thing for?
Is there a better way to get this unstuck?
Is it supposed to smoke this much?

Even seniors 4 years with the team need clarification sometimes.

I do this because its fun, there may be a side benefit that ultimately changes the world, but its fun so enjoy it, just like the subject line says.

I was doing a search for something else and came across this old thread.
Just thought it might be a good time of year to start this discussion again. I have added a few small changes since 2008. Below is what I am sending out this year.

**Enjoying Build Season 2011! **
Below are a few suggestions that will help you enjoy build season and be a more productive team member.

1. Remember that your coaches are here to help. Please see us if you have any concerns. Do not let your problems build up. You are not bothering us! We understand that even in the best of circumstances, there will be issues.

2. Remember that you are on a TEAM! That means not just helping others, but also asking for help if you are in need. We are here to support each other.

3. Care for each other like a family. Help each other and watch out for each other in the shop and when we travel.

4. Listen to each other and COMMUNICATE. Express your concerns, share your ideas and let others know your needs. Remember that your coaches and teammates are listening.

5. Take care of yourself. Eat, sleep, and relieve your stress. Taking care of your mind and body will make you a happier more productive member.

6. Take care of your school work. Prepare yourself for build season by organizing your school work and personal schedule. Being organized will help you make it through with flying colors.

7. Talk to your family about your plans each week and make sure that your plans match with theirs.

8. Do your best at every job, no matter what it is. Doing your best and feeling accomplishment will give build season meaning, help you connect with your teammates, and make it fun.

I just sent this list out to all of our members and received a great deal of compliments on the list! Thank you very much for giving this out! It really is a great list to follow during the build season, having been through three myself!

I am sure each of these points will become more and more important as I gain more experience in FIRST.

Thanks again!

-Phil