Error Building: "No Handler Found for Classloader"

Hello everyone,

I am setting up a brand new Lenovo IdeaPad 320 for the upcoming 2018 season. I installed Eclipse, WPILIB, the CTRE Libraries, the NavX libraries, and the Update Suite. In Eclipse, I also imported our code from last season so I could test out whether everything was working or not. Everything went smoothly, up until I tried to build the code. The compiler returned this:

Buildfile: C:\Users\anton\git\EGR2017FRC\5980 test 2\build.xml
Trying to override old definition of task classloader

BUILD FAILED
C:\Users\anton\git\EGR2017FRC\5980 test 2\build.xml:28: The following error occurred while executing this line:
C:\Users\anton\wpilib\java\current\ant\build.xml:13: No Handler found for ClassLoader jdk.internal.loader.ClassLoaders$AppClassLoader and action org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.classloader.ClassLoaderAdapterAction@740773a3

Total time: 718 milliseconds

I searched online, and found that others have solved something like this by setting their JAVA_HOME environment variable to the location of the JRE, and I’ve also seen people set the PATH environment variable

I tried both, tried setting them to the JDK instead of the JRE, and haven’t had any luck. Has anyone else had this issue, or any ideas on how to solve it? They would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Please download and install Java 8 JDK from here: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jdk8-downloads-2133151.html

Then, configure Eclipse to use Java 8 in Preferences -> Java -> Installed JREs -> click the checkbox next to Java SE 8 and unselect Java SE 9.

Any chance we are going to get java9 support this year? Lots of our kids are having this problem with their personal laptops.

Thanks

Probably not, you’ll just have to make sure all development laptops have JDK 8 installed. Once it’s installed, its pretty much good to go.

Definitely not. Oracle doesn’t distribute any 32-bit builds of Java 9, and many school computers and laptops still use 32-bit operating systems. Java 9 also breaks some of our desktop tools like outlineviewer and shuffleboard. Not to mention moving to a new platform for the RoboRIO…

I don’t see us moving on from Java 8 for several years.

Thanks we have them up and going, and everyone got to learn about environment variables and other fun stuff too.

I guess it is a feature and not a bug.