Excellence in Design Awards, sponsored by Autodesk 2012

Hi -

We have started to post some content to help prepare teams for the 2012 Season on the http://www.autodesk.com/first pages.

The FIRST Robotics Competition Award for Excellence in Design Award Sponsored by Autodesk will be part of the competition season again in 2012. Once again, we will offer students the opportunity to enter in the 3D Design and 3D Animation categories.

•3D Animation students can get started with the Autodesk® 3ds Max® and Autodesk® Maya® Learning Paths and to help you prepare for the 2012 competition season. We are making a few changes this year, and we are really looking forward to seeing what teams will do with the challenge this time around!

•3D Design Challenge this year will be new and innovative! HINT: Just do as much “Design First” as you can so you are ready for what we have in store.
More information will be available on Monday, January 9th at 12pm PST, don’t forget to check back then!

We have also created a new Facebook group that is focused on Autodesk Resources for FRC 2012, you can request to join here: http://www.facebook.com/groups/autodesk.first/
(The Group will be opened to the public on January 9th, but for now you can request to join)

Looking forward to Kick-off!

Best Regards,

Thanks for the link!

Thanks! And I look forward to the challenge.

Does this mean there are two awards at every competition? one for the animation and one for the design? And is the design for the 3D design of the Robot? If so, Will we have the same chance at winning this award if we use Solidworks instead of Autodesk Inventor?

While your first two proposals could prove true, I am almost certain that Autodesk won’t allow Solidworks submissions. The whole idea is to figure out how we utilize the tools provided in Inventor, Design Review, etc. One of the changes hinted at was the use of the Autodesk Cloud, which sounds pretty exciting.

All will be revealed on Monday, January 9th at 12pm PST…

Happy Holidays everyone!

I’ll be waiting anxiously until then :wink:

I heard a rumor that instead of 3ds Max Max or Maya, this year we’re required to use claymation and stop-motion cameras.
http://www.memecat.com/images/memes/solar_seed_claymation.jpg

I doubt it but if so, I’ve done a lot of that too :smiley:

Hah well that would certainly be new and innovative, (for the animation teams that is)

To teams and mentors participating in the 2012 Excellence in Design Award - 3D Design and Animation categories…

We are experiencing minor delays in being able to post the 2012 Official Rules, and will be posting them shortly. Please don’t worry about deadlines, the timeframe for the competition will be adjusted accordingly. We will be posting new training resources for 3D Animation shortly as well.

Thank you for your understanding and support, we will be communicating with you on a regular basis about this.

Best Regards,

Good news for my team :slight_smile:

Ahhh the suspense is killing me!

And my phone has been going off every few hours recently with my animation friends asking me if the prompt has been released. My animation crew is dedicated I guess, heh. At least this leaves us with some extra time to practice :smiley:

Hi -

Thank you for your patience - The Official Rules will be posted very soon, we are in the final stretch, i promise.

I am excited to share the following with teams…

For those of you who are planning to participate in the 2012 Excellence in Design Award Sponsored by Autodesk, in the 3D Animation category, we have created a series of NEW learning content just for you!

Visit our Digital STEAM curriculum site that teaches you how to create a 30-sec animation from start to finish. Download the Project Videos (over 60 videos in total!) and Project Files where you’ll find storyboard templates, character rigs and much, much more!

http://curriculum.autodesk.com/student/public/Level3/overview/project_id/34

Enjoy!

Hi Everyone -

We have finally closed on the contest rules, and they will be posted to www.autodesk.com/first as soon as possible.

As soon as they are available, i will post both here and on our Facebook group:

http://www.facebook.com/groups/autodesk.first/

Thank you for your patience, we are very excited for the 2012 season and hope you enjoy the challenge.

Animators - start your systems!

The animation prompt has been posted at students.autodesk.com. Good luck everyone!

The Official Rules and Contest Descriptions for the Excellence in Design Contest are now available! Please visit the “2012 Awards” tab for more information. There you will also find links to product training, tips and tricks for submitting your entry and more!

www.autodesk.com/first

From how I read it we are actually supposed to show it in schools? Is that correct or am I reading too far into it.

Daniel, I am not sure what you mean with your last question?

The rules state that an animation may get a score of 100 points. Looking at the scoring section of the rules I see 50 points accounted for: Concept-to-completion, 20 pts; Creativity, 20 pts; Technical execution, 10 pts. What am I missing.

-Dave