Hey all, as we have passed Week 1, I am reaching out to share my experiences using Tableau for the first time, as well as asking other teams their experiences. To preface this, it is not a suggestion nor a advertisement, but a presentation of my experiences to help teams decide whether they would want to use it or not. All the following data was procured from my team, 4239, and our scouts during the 2020 Great Northern Regional. Data may not be 100% accurate. Let’s get right into it.
- Quick, easy data filtering and sorting
- Access across multiple different platforms and devices
- Live pulls from your database (we used google forms linked to a spreadsheet)
- New data comparisons and sheets can be made from any device (that is signed into an account with permissions to do so)
- Lots and lots of options to sort, as well as calculated fields for find average scores and such
- Limited by your data/WiFi connection quality (as @Anthony_Galea said, this applies only if you use the Live feature, otherwise you just need to import new data each time)
- Very slow on updating data (often 3-4 matches behind without manual updating)
- New sheets or data comparisons require a separate sign-in in your browser, outside of the app.
- To view, you must be signed in to everything it is going through (Google Drive, and Sheets, and Forms)
- Not very intuitive
To make this clearer, this is the average Power Cell points per match. This required us to scout the Low, Outer, and Inner port scores per robot, and then use a calculated field to multiply each value by its point value.
The teams that appear to be very inaccurate, yet have low seconds per ball are most likely low goal bots. This will be fixed for our next competition, omitting robots that didn’t score in the high goal at all.
This chart laid out the perceived effectiveness over the day of each team. However, this is objective data and next competition will have this chart using the total score per match instead of inherently variable objective data.
This chart is especially useful to determine the locations and timing of scored balls (In Auto, signified by A, and Tele-Op, signified by T) I found it useful to color-coordinate the scored balls in Red tints for Tele-op, and Blue tints for Auto, with lighter shades being the low goal.
Overall, it was a nice experience with a bit of learning curve. Admittedly, I didn’t allow near enough time to practice and get used to the program, yet over the next four weeks I should have plenty of time. I would like to hear from other teams that used Tableau and their experiences with the program.
Dylan Larson, 4239