Failed to start tool PathWeaver

I’m trying to open PathWeaver but I keep receiving this message. I’m using the WPILib extension for VSCode, I wonder if that’s not the problem. It only works with the WPILib Installer VS Code?

Can you run the .jar file directly here: C:\Users\Public\wpilib\2021\tools?

It looks like you have 2021.1.2 do you think you could try installing the newer version?

It worked running the .jar file! Thanks :smiley:

1 Like

Since this isn’t the first we’re hearing about tools not starting (mostly on Linux), can you help us with a quick check: does running ./gradlew PathWeaver (in a robot project) start the tool? It’ll help pinpoint whether the problem is in VS Code or in GradleRIO.

Feel free to comment here or on this GitHub issue.

It didn’t work, It seems it’s trying to run the .py file instead of the .jar

It should be running the .py file anyway. However, it seems that the python shebang is crashing it. Do other tools fail, or is it specifically PathWeaver?

All tools :confused:

What operating system?

A few more questions (if you prefer we move to DMs, no problem):
Is your python set up correctly? The scripts are python on UNIX because it should be available there by default.
If you run the script directly (cd to the tools folder, and run ./PathWeaver.py), does it work?
If you change the python to py in the shebang, does it work?

Is your python set up correctly? The scripts are python on UNIX because it should be available there by default.

I guess it’s, I mean, I didn’t change anything.

If you run the script directly (cd to the tools folder, and run ./PathWeaver.py ), does it work?
/usr/bin/env: ‘python’: No such file or directory

If you change the python to py in the shebang, does it work? I not sure if I know how to do it

Ubuntu

In UNIX scripts, the first line is generally similar to #!/usr/bin/env python - it tells the OS what interpreter should run the script (in this case: the python entry in the environment). For some reason, python isn’t in the environment. If you just run python, does it open anything?

When I changed it to py, if I run the ./gradlew PathWeaver command, the file changed it back to python

If I just run python it says command not found, I guess it’s because I’m using oh my szh terminal. Maybe that’s the problem

Or you need to install Python.

I have python installed, but I didn’t set the command to .zshrc file, so maybe that’s the problem

The problem was that the command for me is “python3”, so it worked when I changed the shebang file to python3

The problem was that the command for me is “python3”, so it worked when I changed the shebang file to python3 :smiley:

I ever met a problem that my pathweaver software can’t be open.At last I found the java -version and the javac -version not the same version.So I uninstall all java tools and re-install them.

The WPILib installer installs the correct version of Java in the WPILib directory and when you run pathweaver from the vscode tools command or using the shortcut, it uses the WPILib Java installation. I suspect you are not launching it as intended if a system Java version caused an issue.